• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deerslayer79

Jan 27, 2007
    Delmar Md
    But I'm scratchin my head,perfect double lung shot @ 25yds,saw the vanes dissappear and out the other side 100% pass thru.Deer runs 50yds collapses,get back up and halfassed run into the EXTREMELY thick cutover,and poof,gone,like yesterday :banghead:.I lost blood about 50yds in and after a hour of belly crawlin finally gave up and followed my blood trail back to the field.I sometimes hate archery season.By all means post your heartbreaking stories so I will feel somewhat better.

deerslayer79

Jan 27, 2007
    Delmar Md
    Yeah,but not as pissed as last year when I shot a big honkin 8 pointer a little to high and after 10hrs tracking him came to realize that I was never goin to find him.I was damn near going to puke :puke2:..

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    They can run but they can't hide!

9-point2.jpg

The Guide to Hunting & Trapping in Maryland 2007-2008
    Page 28

Dogs cannot be used to hunt deer except trained tracking dogs may be used to find dead, wounded or injured deer. The dog handler must maintain physical control of the tracking dog at all times and only the hunter and dog handler may carry a firearm or bow while tracking the deer. Prior to tracking the deer, the hunter must notify by telephone or in person the local regional Natural Resources Police office.

See page 12. If the nearest regional office is unavailable, the hunter must notify the DNR Communication Center.

See page 12 for Assistance phone number. The hunter may dispatch the deer only during legal shooting hours and by means legal for the current hunting season.

kcd

quickdraw
    Jul 21, 2007
    Fort Washington
    Yeah,but not as pissed as last year when I shot a big honkin 8 pointer a little to high and after 10hrs tracking him came to realize that I was never goin to find him.I was damn near going to puke :puke2:..

I once shot a Russian Boar a little too high w/ a 30.06. :gun7: It happened on one of those game preserves in PA. The boar was running across me at about 50 yds. I had it in my cross hairs, squeezed the trigger, and still had it in my cross hairs after I fired the round, so I thought I had it, but it kept running at full speed and disappeared into the woods.

The guide who was with me said he saw blood spurt out. This I did not see. He was more excited than I was and started hollering and running after the boar with me following close behind.

We foung the boar dead as a door nail, halfway up a revine about 100 yds away. Then about 3 or 4 of the boar's family (or friends) appeared on the ridge and startled me for a moment :shocked3: because I thought they were going to attack me for what I did :eek: But they just looked down at us :shocked4: for a few seconds and walked away. I felt bad because this boar probably had loved ones that cared.

The bullet broke 3 ribs going in, penetrated both lungs, broke a rib on the other side and came to rest inside the skin....I hope the boar will meet its love ones again in the after life.

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    mine did the same thing got a good shot on her sat night, she ran up into the most cover she could find, but with the good shot she only got about 10 yard's into the thicket. i followed the blood right into it and was like ****, i crawled in and she was right there dead. first one of the year and she's gunna taste good. :party29:

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    My friend still claims his one deer was abducted by aliens. He shot with his recurve, great through and through, saw the deer run off and lay down 150 yards - 200 yards out. He got out of his stand, retrieved his arrow, and followed the trail, after tracking he found the thicket it was in, big blood pool, no deer, and no tracks leading away from the spot. Someone obiously saw him shoot it and got it out before he could get the deer.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    True story, when I was in Big Buck Road & Gun Club a member there hit a deer in the forehead with his arrow and the only thing that did was piss it off. It ran off and I dont think they ever found it. Im pretty sure it survived.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    if i had a sword i could get at least 4 deer a week on campus without even trying. just getting up to go to work i could bag an average of one every two days. gimme my .22-250 or the .270 i bought the girlfriend and darned if i couldnt depopulate the place of deer quick.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    But I'm scratchin my head,perfect double lung shot @ 25yds,saw the vanes dissappear and out the other side 100% pass thru.Deer runs 50yds collapses,get back up and halfassed run into the EXTREMELY thick cutover,and poof,gone,like yesterday :banghead:.I lost blood about 50yds in and after a hour of belly crawlin finally gave up and followed my blood trail back to the field.I sometimes hate archery season.By all means post your heartbreaking stories so I will feel somewhat better.

At least it didn't run around with an arrow in its head for weeks before succumbing to the wound... :/ :sarcasm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom