• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Since I can't find any other threads online about this (and I have looked for my own sake), I felt like it might help other folks to demonstrate the compatibility of the Magpul Backpacker Stock with the Ruger PC Carbine M-Lok free-float handguard (such as model 19117).

I bought my PC Carbine a few years ago because I had a hankering for a PCC - the fact that it was a takedown, took Glock mags, and was roughly comparable in design and maintenance like the Ruger 10/22 (which I have a bunch of for Appleseed) made it seem like an easy choice. But after buying it, I have to admit that I didn't like it very much. It's heavy, the Ruger synthetic stock is not my cup of tea (they didn't have the AR-style pistol grip and collapsible stock model when I purchased), and even though I have invested some mods I just never wanted to shoot it.

When Magpul announced their backpacker stock for the PC Carbine, I was immediately interested - I really enjoy that style stock on my 10/22 Takedown, which is one of my favorite rifles to shoot. I handled a PC Carbine in that stock at the Dulles Gun Show a couple weeks ago and it was even better in person.

The problem being that every thing you read on Magpul and Ruger's website says that the Backpacker stock is not compatible with the Ruger M-Lok Handguards. The reason is that the free-float handguards have a different mounting block, takedown lever, and screw pattern. Since Ruger does not yet sell the standard mounting block separately, your only option is to buy one from Midwest Industries ($25), find another mounting block screw (Ruger does not sell - only source I found was a place called MDs Gun Repair - it was legit but $6 per screw and $7 shipping - ouch!), and then re-use some hardware from the old mounting block to make it all work.

Brownells is selling the Backpacker stocks for $108 right now (I got the OD green - normally $142) so I figured I would take the plunge since the other hardware would tradeoff with the discounted stock set. I know, gun owner logic right there :)

The Backpacker stock arrived and even though I KNEW (from the internet) that it was incompatible with my handguards, I decided to try to stick it on anyway. And it fit together perfectly and looked great too. The incompatible part is the Backpacker stock fore-end with the mounting block and the M-Lok handguard's inability to lock it into the rear stock for storage (honestly, I could care less about that). And I should have known better, because Magpul also said their 10/22 Hunter takedown fore-end was not compatible with the backpacker rear - but it was the exactly the same.

So why would I want the Backpacker rear stock without the matching front? Why wouldn't I! The Magpul stock is much lighter (about 11 ounces if the Internet can be believed), I like the pistol grip and stock contour more, better LOP for me, and onboard mag storage. The only down side is having to get QD cups for a sling (if that is your thing). It makes the gun feel a lot more handy than before, although it is more front heavy now. It also just mounts better to the shoulder. And those mini fore-ends aren't my favorites anyway - barely enough space for your hand and no way to really mount anything to them.

And because this thread would be worthless without pics, here are a few.

uc

uc

uc

CelticBiggie

Mar 26, 2016
    I need a drum now. Thanks

I got the first threaded one I could and didn’t mind the regular hand guard. and then as soon as Magpul releases the stock. Well I had to get one of those.

This is probably my favorite gun to shoot and more so when bringing inexperienced shooters, it’s so easy to shoot they love it.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Damn you guys.

I like my PC but I really like the Backpacker stock. I didn’t even know it existed until reading this post.

Now I want one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CelticBiggie

Mar 26, 2016
    Damn you guys.

I like my PC but I really like the Backpacker stock. I didn’t even know it existed until reading this post.

Now I want one.

I just want to get my 9mm suppressor for this and my Glock.

But this is my favorite range toy. Even took it to Delmarva and with a considerable hold over we were hitting steel at 200 yards with bull cheap ammo.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I just want to get my 9mm suppressor for this and my Glock.

But this is my favorite range toy. Even took it to Delmarva and with a considerable hold over we were hitting steel at 200 yards with bull cheap ammo.

Mine arrived today. Even with the extended stock cheek rest it’s still a bit low for my scope so I had to add a bit of foam padding. I can’t wait to get it out to the range again. This may also be the gun that pushes me to finally get a 9mm suppressor.

Attachments

• 357A0A6F-1ED6-48DB-BF38-36A18380DAC5.jpeg
      357A0A6F-1ED6-48DB-BF38-36A18380DAC5.jpeg
      236.1 KB · Views: 270

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula