• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMac

Oct 15, 2023
    Baltimore
    Is there a gun law in Maryland that requires a person under 21 purchasing a rifle wait 4 days? My son purchased one Tuesday and he was told he couldn’t pick up until Saturday. My sons 19 and he purchased a Hbar AR
    Yep we went today and they said we have to wait 10 days
    Yup, new infringement they thought up recently to do 10 day background checks on 18-20. I was also surprised when my purchase was delayed, especially because I had made a purchase less than a year prior without any delay.
    Weird that they told you to come back Saturday.

BigMac

Oct 15, 2023
    Baltimore
    I read the new law as "up to 10 days" to complete background check on 18-20 year olds.
    That's correct. From the bit of research I've done, nics reaches out to state and local authorities and inquires about juvenile records. If they don't hear back they allow the purchase after 10 days. From my experience and what I've heard from others you should always expect to wait the full 10 days, though it prob depends on location.

Acs

Sep 10, 2022
    Hagerstown
    Thanks everyone, figured it was Maryland BS turns out it’s Federal BS. Can’t believe this was bipartisan non the less.

Acs

Sep 10, 2022
    Hagerstown
    Welp it’s 11 days and still no answer, according to the bill :

Shown Here:
    Passed House (03/11/2021)​

Enhanced Background Checks Act of 2021

(Sec. 2) This bill revises background check requirements applicable to proposed firearm transfers from a federal firearms licensee (e.g., a licensed gun dealer) to an unlicensed person.

Specifically, it increases the amount of time, from 3 business days to a minimum of 10 business days, that a federal firearms licensee must wait to receive a completed background check prior to transferring a firearm to an unlicensed person. (This type of transaction is often referred to as a default proceed transaction.)

If a submitted background check remains incomplete after 10 business days, then the prospective purchaser may submit a petition for a final firearms eligibility determination. If an additional 10 days elapse without a final determination, then the federal firearms licensee may transfer the firearm to the prospective purchaser.

(Sec. 3) The Government Accountability Office must report on the extent to which the changes have prevented firearms transfers to prohibited persons.

(Sec. 4) The Federal Bureau of Investigation must report on the number of petitions it receives for final federal firearms determinations.

(Sec. 5) The Department of Justice, in consultation with the National Resource Center on Domestic Violence and Firearms, must report on further amendments to the background check process that would likely reduce the risk of death or great bodily harm to victims of domestic violence, domestic abuse, dating partner violence, sexual assault, and stalking.”

my son can submit a petition for final determination. Problem is we cannot find such a petition to file….. the place we purchased said even after 20 days they won’t release unless it comes back and will resale the firearm.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

Shown Here:​

(Sec. 2) This bill revises background check requirements applicable to proposed firearm transfers from a federal firearms licensee (e.g., a licensed gun dealer) to an unlicensed person.

Specifically, it increases the amount of time, from 3 business days to a minimum of 10 business days, that a federal firearms licensee must wait to receive a completed background check prior to transferring a firearm to an unlicensed person. (This type of transaction is often referred to as a default proceed transaction.)

If a submitted background check remains incomplete after 10 business days, then the prospective purchaser may submit a petition for a final firearms eligibility determination. If an additional 10 days elapse without a final determination, then the federal firearms licensee may transfer the firearm to the prospective purchaser.

(Sec. 3) The Government Accountability Office must report on the extent to which the changes have prevented firearms transfers to prohibited persons.

(Sec. 4) The Federal Bureau of Investigation must report on the number of petitions it receives for final federal firearms determinations.

(Sec. 5) The Department of Justice, in consultation with the National Resource Center on Domestic Violence and Firearms, must report on further amendments to the background check process that would likely reduce the risk of death or great bodily harm to victims of domestic violence, domestic abuse, dating partner violence, sexual assault, and stalking.”

my son can submit a petition for final determination. Problem is we cannot find such a petition to file….. the place we purchased said even after 20 days they won’t release unless it comes back and will resale the firearm.
    They have 10 business days, are the 11 you're counting calendar days, maybe?

BigMac

Oct 15, 2023
    Baltimore

Shown Here:​

This bill that you quote never passed in senate and is not specific to 18-20yo. You should be looking at the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act.

(Sec. 12001) This section establishes additional requirements for firearms-related background checks through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) for prospective purchasers who are 18 to 21 years of age.

Specifically, if a federal firearms licensee (e.g., a gun dealer) contacts the NICS to initiate a firearms-related background check on a person who is 18 to 21 years of age, then this section requires the NICS to contact additional record systems—state criminal history or juvenile justice repositories, state custodians of mental health records, and local law enforcement agencies—for possibly disqualifying juvenile records. Current law already requires the NICS to query national data systems for disqualifying records of an individual who is prohibited from receiving or possessing a firearm.

Additionally, if cause exists to further investigate a possibly disqualifying juvenile record of a person who is 18 to 21 years of age, then this section allows a firearm transfer to be delayed for up to 10 business days.

The requirement for the NICS to contact additional record systems expires in 10 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom