• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Just my opinion, but having owned 9 700s, all some level of custom (and cutting it down to just one), I wouldn't even bother handling one made after the mid seventies.

By the time you are done with all the work to make the 700 worth a crap, you can.buy a ready to go 700 footprint action. The prices have come way down.

turbo86

MDS Supporter
    By the time you are done with all the work to make the 700 worth a crap, you can.buy a ready to go 700 footprint action. The prices have come way down.

I might still go that route. I had a RR serial number ( last batch through the Ilion plant) M700 that I had some work done to and it came out to about what a low end custom action would have cost.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I might still go that route. I had a RR serial number ( last batch through the Ilion plant) M700 that I had some work done to and it came out to about what a low end custom action would have cost.
    C to MAYBE a D serial prefix is the cutoff to.where I won't even work on them. Rough as a cob.

I am a big fan of zermatt and ARC actions. That said, I built a 6.5 creedmoor on a Stiller tac30 for a buddy almost a decade ago and it's been nothing but perfect. I like the zermatt and ARC stuff because people can order shouldered prefits for them and street prices for the actions are under a grand on their lower models.

You can spend 2k on an action or (these days) you can spend 800 to 1000. The features/quality/price point calculus keeps moving in favor of the customer every year as more companies enter the market and try to compete.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I'm familiar with the Zermat. I'll look into the ARC.
    I own both.

The new CDG from Ted at ARC I don't own yet but I got to play with one pre-release and a shooting buddy has one of the first run. I sort of like it, sort of don't. Undeniably smooth. I think it needs time to grow on me. I love my Nuke. Tried an Archi once, but not enough to really decide if I liked the pivoting bolt. I think if I bought a CDG right now, I'd get pivoting but it would be something I would put thought into.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I've got a .223 700, and the action is gritty compared to a Howa and Savage in .308. Still MOA accurate, just gritty bolt closing and opening.

The 700 will be a project gun down the road.

Q

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    In my experience, the Remington 700 series hunting rifles have really declined in quality. I had a fairly recent .308 Varmint that shot 2 MOA groups with FGMM 168s. I rebarreled it and it was much better.

The tactical series (5R, PSS, PS & LTR) generally shoot very well and my LTR will stack the same FGMM 168s into 1/2 MOA or less. The drawback with these is the initial cost and that the finish is matte black, except the 5R which is matte stainless and you may not want either of these with a nice walnut stock. The factory stocks are HS Precision and can be resold for a decent price.

If you want 'hunting accuracy', any one of the barrel makers will rebarrel your action without dumping a lot of money into it, but then you have to get it finished.

If you are looking for a true precision rifle, I'd suggest following the advice above and going to a custom action on an M700 form. The basic M700 action needs a few hundred dollars worth of precision gunsmithing to true up, so you can spend almost as much as just getting the custom action to begin with. If you do customize an M700, in the end you still only have a Remington action and will never recoup the gunsmithing costs.

turbo86

MDS Supporter
    In my experience, the Remington 700 series hunting rifles have really declined in quality. I had a fairly recent .308 Varmint that shot 2 MOA groups with FGMM 168s. I rebarreled it and it was much better.
    My RR M700 in .243 shot 2-2.5 moa on a good day. It also had problems with extraction. I had the bolt worked on to fix the extraction and rebarreled it. I haven't shot it with the new barrel yet but it has to be better than the piece of steel pipe that was on it. The bolt work made it smooth as silk and it really throws the brass. It cost $320.00 so I still have less into it than a Zermat Origin.

If you do customize an M700, in the end you still only have a Remington action and will never recoup the gunsmithing costs.

True

Sirex