• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbuck

May 26, 2009
    I have two hand guns that were purchased in Maryland in the early 80's. Are these already registered? If not, do I have to register them?

Thanks,

Jim

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    I have two hand guns that were purchased in Maryland in the early 80's. Are these already registered? If not, do I have to register them?

Thanks,

Jim

I do not know the answer to the question of when the current Maryland database of regulated firearms commenced. I may have read in the past that it was in 1985, but I am not at all sure about this, and cannot at the moment run it down. (The 77R transfer form existed at least as early as 1992.) This question has been raised in several threads on this forum recently, and we might hope that somebody will come forward with a document that provides a definitive answer before too long.

As to the second question, there is no requirement in the new law for Maryland residents to register previously owned handguns. (If you moved to another state, and then moved back into Maryland after October 1, in that case you would have to register all regulated firearms within 90 days of establishing residency.)

While no registration of previously owned handguns is required, a Maryland resident who "lawfully owns a regulated firearm" will have the option of providing a specified description, including serial number, for purposes of claiming an exemption to the training that otherwise will be required for acquisition of a Handgun Qualification License (HQL). How this will work is explained here.

However, you only need a HQL if you intend to "purchase, rent, or receive" one or more additional handguns (with certain exceptions) after October 1, 2013.

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Having a timeline of just when which laws went into effect would be a big help to everyone. I have tried looking up the laws but they don't seem to tell you anything but when they were revised. I suppose there are copies of the previous revisions and one could track them back to the original but I don't know where to look. Any legal experts care to chime in and tell us where to look?

If we knew how I'll bet we could get several people working the research and post the results to a thread devoted to the subject.

KingGeorge

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 30, 2013
    I don't feel like my question is thread worthy so I'll ask it here.

So I'm getting my AR 15 lower, I want to know if I'll be able to get any upper i want sent to my house after October 1st. Somebody told menthat uppers will just be considered parts after October 1st so I'll be able to get uppers and just not lowers which is considered the gun. So is this true? Uppers are good to buy after September?

KingGeorge

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 30, 2013
    Also what if my lower breaks and I uave to ship it back to the company for them to fix since it has lifetime warranty, would that be able to go down or would the no AR 15s traveling through Maryland be in effect?

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County

Thanks,

Jim

If they were private sales then no. The mandatory background check for private sales didn't get passed until the mid to late 90's.

bangbangbye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2012
    king george. your upper is now and will be a part. not sure about the shipping, but i would be surprised if they couldn't ship it back.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Posts #7 and #8 illustrate the problem perfectly. Just which rules were enacted when? A documented timeline with links to the actual law would be a resource to answer these questions authoritatively.

StillServing

I know NOTHING !
    Feb 1, 2011
    Calvert County
    Here's a good one for you. I bought a handgun no more than 5 yrs ago through an FFL. Filled out the 77R and did all the appropriate paerwork, 7 day wait, etc. No bid geal. I went to the local MSP barrack last week to complete a gift transfer and was told, " This handgun isn't registered in the state of MD". My response was, "OK and...." they said "OK, just wanted to make sure you knew." This floored me because it was thru an FFL so shouldn't it have been registered?

jake12

May 18, 2010
    Here's a good one for you. I bought a handgun no more than 5 yrs ago through an FFL. Filled out the 77R and did all the appropriate paerwork, 7 day wait, etc. No bid geal. I went to the local MSP barrack last week to complete a gift transfer and was told, " This handgun isn't registered in the state of MD". My response was, "OK and...." they said "OK, just wanted to make sure you knew." This floored me because it was thru an FFL so shouldn't it have been registered?

Through a MD FFL?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Jimbuck

May 26, 2009
    Thanks for the info. I have paperwork on one gun but don't seem to have it for the other.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010

Seems odd, but could happen a number of ways -- for example, a mistranscription of the serial number by somebody, five years ago. Please let us know if anybody contacts you from the MSP raising any question about this during the transfer process. I doubt that this will happen.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

You are probably in the database as owning a gun that you don't have or one that doesn't exist. Possibly some non existent person with a name one typo away from yours is the registered buyer of the gun you just transferred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom