• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TwinTurbskis

professional amateur
    Jun 9, 2020
    Derwood, MD
    I have a particular kink for 20'' AR's, and am finally getting around to building up one of my pre-13 lowers to eventually house a Fulton Armory M16A1 upper. I am very inexperienced when it comes to all things A1, so I'm hoping to get some recommendations on what parts I should be using - stocks in particular. There aren't nearly as many options for new production A1 stocks as there are A2 stocks, and a lot of the companies that do make them I am unfamiliar with. Additionally, there are a lot of original surplus stocks out there, but I'm not sure it they'll look right when attached to a pristine upper.

Any insights you guys have I am very appreciative of!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Have you considered just trying to buy an old Colt M16A1 upper? They're out there. Repro A1 stocks shouldn't be too hard to find.

I wouldn't worry so much about appearance of new vs old; if you shoot it enough, it'll get worn in.

I have a pre-ban A1 clone that I shoot from time to time, and I'm happy enough with it.

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    I have a particular kink for 20'' AR's, and am finally getting around to building up one of my pre-13 lowers to eventually house a Fulton Armory M16A1 upper. I am very inexperienced when it comes to all things A1, so I'm hoping to get some recommendations on what parts I should be using - stocks in particular. There aren't nearly as many options for new production A1 stocks as there are A2 stocks, and a lot of the companies that do make them I am unfamiliar with. Additionally, there are a lot of original surplus stocks out there, but I'm not sure it they'll look right when attached to a pristine upper.

Numrich did have some A1 stock sets not too too long ago, not sure if they are still in stock or not but that would ne the first place I would check.....I would also check SARCO...you might have to buy hand guards, stock set, and pistol grip separately. The last time I did a retro A1 clone build I got my stocks from Numrich and they cleaned up great with straight milsurp CLP though there was some rust on the rear sling swivel. You can also find new production furniture, which might be the way to go for you since even though you'll be using a pre-13 receiver it's not going to be a A1 clone correct is regards to the fencing and other minute details but only hardcore guys will notice that.

Last edited:

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster

The title says lower build, Brownells maks a nice M16A1 clone.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Not cheap but

TwinTurbskis

professional amateur
    Jun 9, 2020
    Derwood, MD
    You can also find new production furniture, which might be the way to go for you since even though you'll be using a pre-13 receiver it's not going to be a A1 clone correct is regards to the fencing and other minute details but only hardcore guys will notice that.
    Yeah I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to the lower itself... I could buy a more correct lower but then it would have to have an HBAR upper. The pre-13 lower I have available isn't clone correct, but can have an upper with the correct barrel profile on it... I'm not sure what the lesser of the two evils is.

Stupid question- if I were to buy that stock kit from Numrich, it would accept a normal A2 buffer tube correct?

Have you considered just trying to buy an old Colt M16A1 upper? They're out there. Repro A1 stocks shouldn't be too hard to find.

I wouldn't worry so much about appearance of new vs old; if you shoot it enough, it'll get worn in.

I have a pre-ban A1 clone that I shoot from time to time, and I'm happy enough with it.
    To be honest I hadn't really looked into an original upper, I'll do some searching and see what I can find.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to the lower itself... I could buy a more correct lower but then it would have to have an HBAR upper. The pre-13 lower I have available isn't clone correct, but can have an upper with the correct barrel profile on it... I'm not sure what the lesser of the two evils is.
    Full fence lowers are clone correct for A1s. At the end of the day, the upper is a lot more important than the lower for a quick-and-dirty clone (which is what you're doing anyways).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom