• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    <Reposting in the Jobs Board>

Everyone,

Our house is at the bottom of a small depression and over the years has settled. When there's a "gullywasher" thunderstorm, runoff comes down the slope and wraps around the side, coming in under the sliding patio door. I'd like to have a contractor come in to regrade the patio, put in new pavers, and an edge drain, and then trench to get the water out into the woods behind our house. I got one estimate from one of the larger local landscaping firms, but it seems outrageous to me. So, it's time for a second opinion. Anyone have a contractor they'd recommend for the Annapolis area?

To give a little scope to the job, the patio is ~12 ft x 15 ft. Then the trench would need to be dug about 75 ft.

JoeR

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Is the water discharge area on your property?
    Is there room for small machines to gain access back there?

I did something similar at my house in Arizona. It took a couple of Saturday’s as well as an hour or two in the evenings of the weeks I was not out of town, but the final result of a lot of roof water harmlessly going away was priceless. Three roof lines had been dumping their water onto the concrete slab patio, flooding it, and undermining it. Water control doesn’t get the attention it deserves.

Edit: there is a member there that can handle this project. I might be wrong, but I believe his user name is Psycho Steve.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Is the water discharge area on your property? -- Yes
    Is there room for small machines to gain access back there? -- Yes

Edit: there is a member there that can handle this project. I might be wrong, but I believe his user name is Psycho Steve. -- Thanks for the recommendation!

In our case, there's a downspout at that corner of the roof that empties into a planter box. However, when we get a "gullywasher" thunderstorm, the gutters overflow, pouring water onto the patio. With the settlement of the house, the volume of water has nowhere to go so it runs under the sliding door and ends up flooding that corner of the basement.

JoeR

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Larger gutters and downspouts? Ours used to overflow in said storms causing some problems as well. We replaced gutters and downspouts to larger ones and also relocated two downspouts where we could and has drastically helped the problem.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    …Water control doesn’t get the attention it deserves….

:thumbsup:

Realtors, some realtors, would practically lose their minds over how fast I’d vamoose a property, even as a bachelor, and be waiting for them at their car, if I saw the slightest hint of water intrusion in any basement foundation.

It didn’t look like it had ever even been a drip,” or, “It wasn’t even a puddle,” they’d plea, in efforts to get me to go back.

I’d always ask them if they’d ever heard of The Seven Natural Wonders of the World and then ask them to look up how many had been made by … water …

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    In our case, there's a downspout at that corner of the roof that empties into a planter box. However, when we get a "gullywasher" thunderstorm, the gutters overflow, pouring water onto the patio. With the settlement of the house, the volume of water has nowhere to go so it runs under the sliding door and ends up flooding that corner of the basement.

JoeR

In that case, why not place larger gutters and downspouts in that area of the roof, and send that water underground to the woods?

And the members username here might be "Sgt Psycho". I think I had it wrong in my first post.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    :thumbsup:

Realtors, some realtors, would practically lose their minds over how fast I’d vamoose a property, even as a bachelor, and be waiting for them at their car, if I saw the slightest hint of water intrusion in any basement foundation.

It didn’t look like it had ever even been a drip,” or, “It wasn’t even a puddle,” they’d plea, in efforts to get me to go back.

I’d always ask them if they’d ever heard of The Seven Natural Wonders of the World and then ask them to look up how many had been made by … water …

Who doesn't love the musky ambience of a natural seasonal wading pool in their basement? It's all the rage these days along with nickle gap plank walls and country kitchens.

I declined to view one house in AZ that from the street looked to be in a bowl. We didn't make it past the sidewalk before it was veto'd and we moved onto the beautiful home which we bought.

JustCallMeDad

Oct 8, 2021
    Try Reid Brothers Landscaping not sure if they handle Annapolis but definitely worth a shot, its a smaller business but they do great work with reasonable prices, and not sure if it matters to you but one if not both of them are military aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom