• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I'm selling my house and need an estimate for remediation. House was built with a passive system (PVC from pump well vented through roof per code I guess?). Of course they did the test during 2 days of storms so the reading was 4.3 vs. EPA standard of 4.0.

I'm guessing I just need a fan installed, but want an actual estimate.

Need this ASAP, so if you're in the business, please let me know via PM. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJB762

Jul 5, 2012
    Affordable Radon...they are in Dundalk. I am a home inspector and also do radon testing. Have used them several times.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    I put my own system in, it's not that hard. Seems you already have the plumbing just add a fan. Home Depot sells the fans.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Thanks for the recommendations gentlemen. I'd install it myself, but then I'd have to order another test too, so there's really no cost benefit.

You're going to need another one anyway. You will need it to proove that the remedition actions did reduce your readings.

Did you do the initial test yourself? Or was it part of a home inspection from a potential buyer? If it was from the latter, they will probably require the work to be done by a licensed contractor.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    You're going to need another one anyway. You will need it to proove that the remedition actions did reduce your readings.

Did you do the initial test yourself? Or was it part of a home inspection from a potential buyer? If it was from the latter, they will probably require the work to be done by a licensed contractor.

Yeah, that's the thing. If I hire someone to do the remediation, they will test it and provide a guarantee. So by the time I install the fan, and hire someone to retest, I may as well have just hired someone in the first place.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Thanks for the recommendations gentlemen. I'd install it myself, but then I'd have to order another test too, so there's really no cost benefit.

Yep, better to have a pro do the testing. Carries much more weight.

When my system was installed right after my house was built, the first test measured above eight. One month after the system was installed, the test measured zero. A few years after that, a family without a radon system on the next street over had their teenager (~12yo) come down with a rare lymphoma. Bedroom was in the basement. After the diagnosis, they had a pro test for radon and it measured in the mid 20's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom