• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    After the fiasco with 6.5 Grendel not chambering I finally got around to pulling the bullets and dumping the powder. I ran them through the resizing die again without adjusting it and to my surprise they chambered after sizing. What I think happened is one of the other dies was too far in the press and prevented the sizing die from getting a full press. Anyway the cases are ready for reloading now. I just need to clean the powder off the primers.

The bullet puller die is great BTW what a time saver!

Attachments

• 20240302_174602.jpg
      20240302_174602.jpg
      230 KB · Views: 60
    • 20240302_174546.jpg
      20240302_174546.jpg
      307.2 KB · Views: 56
    • 20240302_174451.jpg
      20240302_174451.jpg
      364.9 KB · Views: 56

blazing lead

Nov 29, 2018
    Cecil county
    I loaded a box of 45 ACP with different charges and figured out I must have forgotten to resize the cases. They are still in a bin on my reloading bench since I only have a hammer type kinetic bullet puller to deconstruct them.
    You might be able to get them to chamber by running them through a lee factory crimp die or even a bulge buster. It would be at plucking all them bullets with a hammer puller.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I use a soft jaw plier to pull rounds. I use my Hornaday one arm bandit raise the round above the top. then grab the head and lower the press and the bullet comes out without any damage.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I loaded a box of 45 ACP with different charges and figured out I must have forgotten to resize the cases. They are still in a bin on my reloading bench since I only have a hammer type kinetic bullet puller to deconstruct them.

I hate the hammer style. Try the below it made short work of the job. Around 15 minutes for @ 100 rounds.

5string

Feb 21, 2014
    NC
    You probably could have used a shoulder bump die or a full length bushing die without the bushing, and avoided pulling the bullets.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    You probably could have used a shoulder bump die or a full length bushing die without the bushing, and avoided pulling the bullets.

I was wondering if there was a way to resize them without pulling everything apart. I am not familiar with this die can you post more info on it?

5string

Feb 21, 2014
    NC

5string

Feb 21, 2014
    NC
    These will allow me to resize loaded rounds (bullet/powder/primer)?
    Not "resize", of course you can't fully resize a loaded round, but without a bushing installed, you can bump the shoulder on a loaded round. Isn't that what you wanted to do?

Here's some reading on the subject, I would not put loaded rounds in a tumbler as one guy suggested, that could change the burn rate of the powder inside. Just my opinion, you do whatever you're comfortable with.

Copied from the link:
    Note: By removing the bushing and all internal parts, the Type-S full bushing die may also be used as a body die.

Last edited:

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Not "resize", of course you can't fully resize a loaded round, but without a bushing installed, you can bump the shoulder on a loaded round. Isn't that what you wanted to do?

Here's some reading on the subject, I would not put loaded rounds in a tumbler as one guy suggested, that could change the burn rate of the powder inside. Just my opinion, you do whatever you're comfortable with.

Copied from the link:
    Note: By removing the bushing and all internal parts, the Type-S full bushing die may also be used as a body die.

I don't need to do anything now because all of these bullets are pulled, powder dumped, and primers punched out. I was looking more for a post-mortem on this and what could I have done. When I tested the cases that would not fit, I found the primer end of the case was ever so slightly larger than the other end. I can only surmise that my chamber is overly "accurate" (for lack of a better term). I don't think this was a shoulder issue. I tested the rounds in a bullet tester (drop in style with cutaway edge) and they all seemed to be correct. I think the cases never got a full sizing from the sizing die due to another die being set too low in the progressive press. I say this because when I ran a couple (after pulling bullets and powder) through the sizing die (removed all other dies) they fit fine in the chamber.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Take away from doing the very same thing years ago; try chambering the resized cases before loading a bunch of rounds. Correct it before having a bunch of useless rounds and lost labor.
    BTDT, we all have something we botched.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    After the fiasco with 6.5 Grendel not chambering I finally got around to pulling the bullets and dumping the powder. I ran them through the resizing die again without adjusting it and to my surprise they chambered after sizing. What I think happened is one of the other dies was too far in the press and prevented the sizing die from getting a full press. Anyway the cases are ready for reloading now. I just need to clean the powder off the primers.

The bullet puller die is great BTW what a time saver!
    Thanks for sharing. Best of luck with corrective results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom