• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Will you actively tell people they can carry their gun in your home? How?

• Yes - Will reach out to all friends who are likely to visit (likely exception of known anti-gunners)

Votes: 1 2.4%
    • Yes - Will reach out to all known pro-gun/carry friends who are likely to visit

Votes: 7 16.7%
    • Yes - Will post notice on door

Votes: 1 2.4%
    • No - And no request to carry is expected; permission should be assumed

Votes: 28 66.7%
    • No - And will be offended if someone carries without asking

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Other

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters

SigNerd

Feb 24, 2015
    One part of SB1 likely to go into effect is the default no-carry in others' homes without permission. I don't believe MSI is challenging that part directly (just the default no for businesses and then specific sensitive places) and I can't remember what the NRA is challenging in their giant stack of a complaint (I mean, lawmakers throw giant stacks of likely unconstitutional laws to see what will stick, why can't we do the same when suing? Other than judges probably don't like that very much).

So come October 1, how do you plan on letting people know they have permission to carry in your home? I won't ask the other side of that question because I don't want people to tell on themselves.

I assume the only reason to post notice on your door would be to let workers know, as well, but then you're also advertising to people that there are guns in your home. There's probably not a way to get the point across without doing that, we don't have that many universal shibboleths as a community. But if you plan on doing it, please explain because I'd like to hear the arguments in favor/risk mitigation.

I live in the DC suburbs, so I know of very few of my friends who are pro-gun (I suspect most are generally neutral) and I strongly believe I'm the only one who carries, so personally I'm sticking with my permission should be assumed. On October 1st I'll speak the words into the aether granting express prior permission to anyone who's welcome in my home even if no one is there to hear me say the words lol.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Friends are welcome to carry in my home. They already know. When I make house calls (I do make house calls) I already leave my gun in the car. I’ll continue to do so. Friends who’s homes I visit already know I carry and are fine.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Permission “implied” is not permission “granted”, and in some screwball turn of events could jam up your visitor. Give them permission verbally, which they can in turn use to defend themselves in a jam, and which you can corroborate if need be.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Personally I always carry (within reason and EWBMD’s) and figure everyone else does also so I wouldn’t even think about giving permission or asking either

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm "other". If I don't know you, you ain't crossing my threshold. If I know you, and let you in, you are good to go.

ETA: In addition, I would never ask permission to carry in someone's house nor place of business. I would already know if doing so would be appropriate.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Do you carry a .44?
    I carried a stainless ruger super Blackhawk for many years but alas now it throws off my balance plus I am fat and it prints something awful lol

So now I rotate between a s&w bodyguard in a pocket holster and a Glock 19 in an owb holster when I can wear a big flannel or a shoat or jacket

It does make me feel underpinned though

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I carried a stainless ruger super Blackhawk for many years but alas now it throws off my balance plus I am fat and it prints something awful lol

So now I rotate between a s&w bodyguard in a pocket holster and a Glock 19 in an owb holster when I can wear a big flannel or a shoat or jacket

It does make me feel underpinned though
    :thumbsup:

SigNerd

Feb 24, 2015
    Permission “implied” is not permission “granted”, and in some screwball turn of events could jam up your visitor. Give them permission verbally, which they can in turn use to defend themselves in a jam, and which you can corroborate if need be.
    My permission is for the general public provided they otherwise have consent to be in my house (i.e. aren't trespassing). This includes workers. If someone asks, I'll give them express permission beyond that.

If I'm alive, no prosecutor is going to attempt to try someone for armed trespass if I say they had permission. If I'm dead I hope all my friends would be smart enough to say they had permission.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Yes- Pretty vocal about those who visit can or will carry. Normally only the family. We don't get many visitors,
    Just moved 19 days ago. So my take is visitors are delivery people with furniture- bed etc. Oh- Amazon doesn't count.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom