• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Thinking about making a Honey Badger Clone which will require a pinned and welded suppressor because it will be too short to meet MD OAL requirement. Any recommendations on the suppressor, it most likely have to be a direct thread.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    What caliber, what length barrel, what kind of buffer tube/stock?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I would personally just use a Gemtech Integra upper, which will give you a similar look but be a lot less of a pain to maintain (and also probably outperform any solution you'd come up with).

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I would 100% use a HB PDW brace, depending on the receivers and if you want a HB clone vs HB inspired, you have options. If going with original HB barrel/HG etc, would go with a DT Q can, if you want a SD with tucked can then think that can is HB exclusive and all other Q cans are 1.75" would have to go with a 1.5" can from someone else. If not doing a tucked can, would just stick to whatever mounting solution that can uses. If you are afraid braces will get tossed, or want to SBR it, then probably a Q can to stay real, Nomads and others with modular mounts would need the mount to be pinned and welded in addition to the mount in order to get 29", and probably not far from 16" and not having to do NFA stuff anyway. A Q full nelson pinned to an 8" barrel should be about 16.2" and a 1 stamp NFA with a stock

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I am not a fan of braces and really do not want to go down that rabbit hole in this climate. It will be HB inspired. The Money Q wants for the HB components is outrageous in my opinion but understand they do not want others building clones with their parts. I am in the fact finding part right now. I have an overall vision which includes a one stamp setup so pin and welded suppressor to most likely a 7.5 to 8.5 inch barrel with adjustable gas block with tucked suppressor. Leaning sealed to stay away from technicalities. I am not 100% opposed to SBR but I just do not think with a barrel of 7.5 to 8.5 inches I can get to MDs OAL requirements.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I am not a fan of braces and really do not want to go down that rabbit hole in this climate. It will be HB inspired. The Money Q wants for the HB components is outrageous in my opinion but understand they do not want others building clones with their parts. I am in the fact finding part right now. I have an overall vision which includes a one stamp setup so pin and welded suppressor to most likely a 7.5 to 8.5 inch barrel with adjustable gas block with tucked suppressor. Leaning sealed to stay away from technicalities. I am not 100% opposed to SBR but I just do not think with a barrel of 7.5 to 8.5 inches I can get to MDs OAL requirements.

If you're willing to go the 2 stamp/SBR route, getting to 10.5" with an 8.5" barrel shouldn't be that hard. That would allow you to put a QD muz device and have it pinned and welded. That should eat up around 1.5" right there, depending on what you get for a can. Obviously, you'll be looking for a ratchet mounted can, as you want it tucked. Next, you'll need a Vltor A5 buffer kit. More than likely, that should get you knocking on the door of legal length. If it does, then I would suggest a Mission First minimalist stock to finish it off. Worst comes to worse, Magpul makes an extended butt pad that can add .55" to .70", depending on which you need, but would require a second look at an acceptable stock.

Here's why I don't like pinned suppressors. If you reload(and I'm not sure you do), you will not want to run ammo ladders through your suppressor. There will be a risk of baffle strikes if something goes wrong. It also makes barrel cleaning a bit more difficult(but not impossible), not to mention gas block adjusting will be a real PIA.

My 2 cents.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

Measured some of my stuff. A griffin taper mount linear comp pinned/welded to a 9" barrel and a MOE SL stock will get you to 29.125" It will stick out of a Midwest SP 10.5" handguard about 1/8", and tuck about 2.25" of can. Going semi-tucked is nice with supers, so the front of the handguard doesn't get too hot, and you could swap cans. If you want a full tuck, then 6" barrel with a 1.5"x 7" DT can would tuck under their 12.5" handguard with the muzzle flush, if you want a 2 stamp. It would take a 9" barrel and anything larger than a 7.5" can pinned/welded to make 16"+ for a 1 stamp. Of course that is assuming a stock that extends to a 14"-ish LOP, needs the rearmost part about 14.5" from the trigger pin. Shorter LOP or PDW stocks might need a longer barrel for MD's BS, but should be good down to a 12.5" LOP if you go with the linear comp/9" barrel setup. That would probably be my suggestion as it would be a sweet handling rifle, meet MD's 29" LOP, not a permanent mounted can, and can still go with a PDW-ish stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom