• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    In 2013 there was a MD law passed requiring gun locks accompany all sales of new handguns in MD. I remember threads on this forum offering to loan locks of the proper caliber , that it only had to be present when you walked out the door, that you could or could not bring your own, ETC. That discussion has largely disappeared. I remembered it this morning because a family member recently purchased a new handgun and there was no mention of the omega lock requirements. Has this law been repealed, OBE with the Heller decision, or something else? Don't get me wrong I never believed that requiring purchase of a chamber lock did anything to make handguns more safe, and my response when offered to "show you how it works" was " "don't pout that nasty thing anywhere near my chamber" I simply want to be up to date on the regulations.

Snardo

Nov 25, 2019
    Most guns just seem to come with one in the case now. I guess if you're not buying a brand new one, this might become an issue but it should be easy enough to find one you can have on hand in such a situation.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Law still in place but they allowed more types of locks when the omegas and franzenint bore locks became unobtainable.

jlowe23

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2014
    Cecil County
    See attached list of approved locks. Basically MSP decided that cable locks and trigger locks will also suffice stating:

"The Maryland Handgun Roster Board has found that the following devices, when installed in an approved handgun, satisfies Maryland Law, Public Safety §5-132(c)(2). Due to insufficient production of traditional Integrated Mechanical Safety Devices, the list may include alternative devices such as cable locks and trigger locks."

Attachments

• Approved Safety Devices.pdf
      90.4 KB · Views: 66

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Not needed on some guns because they are either old enough or have a safety Key.
    "old enough" date is 2002 or older

• Restriction on sale, rent, or transfer of handguns. --
    • (1) A dealer may not sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State a handgun manufactured on or before December 31, 2002, unless the handgun is sold, offered for sale, rented, or transferred with an external safety lock.
    • (2) On or after January 1, 2003, a dealer may not sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State a handgun manufactured on or after January 1, 2003, unless the handgun has an integrated mechanical safety device.

Aren't laws ambiguous or what. I can read that 2 different ways. And so have some gun shops.

Last edited:

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Not needed on some guns because they are either old enough or have a safety Key.
    "old enough" date is 2002 or older

• Restriction on sale, rent, or transfer of handguns. --
    • (1) A dealer may not sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State a handgun manufactured on or before December 31, 2002, unless the handgun is sold, offered for sale, rented, or transferred with an external safety lock.
    • (2) On or after January 1, 2003, a dealer may not sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State a handgun manufactured on or after January 1, 2003, unless the handgun has an integrated mechanical safety device.

Aren't laws ambiguous or what. I can read that 2 different ways. And so have some gun shops.
    The 2002 and earlier were and still are allowed to use any available lock. Post 2002 had to be integrated or a bore lock with a few exceptions.
    To my knowledge there isn’t any relief from this law as far as an “old enough “ pistol. But I don’t deal in much of that.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The 2002 and earlier were and still are allowed to use any available lock. Post 2002 had to be integrated or a bore lock with a few exceptions.
    To my knowledge there isn’t any relief from this law as far as an “old enough “ pistol. But I don’t deal in much of that.

Manufactured before the effective date is exempted , and only requires the $1 trigger lock in the case .

Historical trivia -

At the time there were grandfathered pistols in the regular supply chain .

Then MD Dealers had to be reaching out to distributors for NOS sitting in the back of the warehouse.

Finally MSP blinked and approved the tampon locks , which was a major positive for MD gun owners .

Last edited:

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Manufactured before the effective date is exempted , and only requires the $1 trigger lock in the case .

Historical trivia -

At the time there were grandfathered pistols in the regular supply chain .

Then MD Dealers had to be reaching out to distributors for NOS sitting in the back of the warehouse.

Finally MSP blinked and approved the tampon locks , which was a major positive for MD gun owners .
    “Exempt” and “requires” is contradictory.
    A $1 lock is a lock. And if that isn’t available any lock that impedes using is ok.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Two different laws .

All handguns must have " some vague form of trigger lock resembling object "

The other law required all handguns built after a certain date to have " Built In Lock " .

Over the years since , MSP has had directives of what they would or would not consider to qualify as Built In Locks , specifically by brand and model .

The latest MSP directives bring things almost full circle , to nearly the starting point .

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Two different laws .

All handguns must have " some vague form of trigger lock resembling object "

The other law required all handguns built after a certain date to have " Built In Lock " .

Over the years since , MSP has had directives of what they would or would not consider to qualify as Built In Locks , specifically by brand and model .

The latest MSP directives bring things almost full circle , to nearly the starting point .
    Cool. Sounds exactly like what I said without all the back and forth and nit picking. Pre 2002 any lock ok. No gun is exempt. Post 2002 they had a list of approved locks that got expanded due to the lack of availability. It’s obvious you know more than I but my answer so far stands on its own.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Kind of funny, I keep moving my 5.7 and 9mm Omega Locks out of the way, wondering why I haven't seen anyone looking for one lately. Saturday I broke out a safe queen, Performance Center gun and discovered the Shell Casings in the envelope. Maybe little things like this are causing an increase in crime ? :lol2:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, I remember back in 2010 or so when I had to do the Omega lock dance. I still keep one in my trunk in case I need it for a pistol purchase. I was wondering why no one bothered me about that recently!

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Yeah, I remember back in 2010 or so when I had to do the Omega lock dance. I still keep one in my trunk in case I need it for a pistol purchase. I was wondering why no one bothered me about that recently!
    I have probably 15 new at my shop if not 25. The owner of omega was very pissed when MD changed its policy

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I have probably 15 new at my shop if not 25. The owner of omega was very pissed when MD changed its policy
    I bet ! I once talked to him when the FN 5.7 came out, he was on his way to China and talked about a .22wmr/ 5.7 model. Stupid laws though.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Be careful some makers locks that come with guns are not "approved", I know walthers are not. Luckily most gun stores wont ever check the list, duffys did when my mom bought her walther. They handed her an omega to walk out the door with with, and after she put the pistol in her car she brought it back in.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Ok, so I took the liberty of checking the MSP website and found this list updated in 2021:

Is there a mechanism to update the list as more products come to market or is this it? Most locks listed seem to come with firearms manufacturer new, which doesn't help used firearms that are new enough to require the lock for transfer.

For instance, I did a search for "handgun trigger" lock on amazon and found Master lock model 94 DSPT, which is not on the "approved" list:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom