• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Does anyone know if Pyrodex is stable in long-term storage?

I have some old Pyrodex (maybe 10 years?) laying around. It has been stored in a stable environment, sealed inside an airtight dry box. It's probably good, but I though I'd ask "just in case".

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    All smokeless powders deteriorate chemically as they get older. This rate of deterioration can be accelerated by such things as storage in warm conditions,exposure to other chemicals and exposure to direct sunlight. Any such deterioration may ultimately lead to a fire through spontaneous ignition of the powder. CHECK containers of smokeless powder regularly for possible deterioration through age or inadequate storage. Yearly checks are recommended wherever average daily summer temperatures exceed 30 ºC. Where average daily summer temperatures are usually below 30 ºC checks should be made every two years. CHECK containers of smokeless powder for possible chemical deterioration through age or inadequate storage. Such deterioration may ultimately lead to spontaneous ignition of the powder. Chemical deterioration of smokeless powder can be recognised by carefully smelling the contents of the container – any deterioration produces an acrid, acidic odour quite different from the normal sweet smelling odours of ethanol or ether which are usually present. Rusting of metal surfaces exposed to smokeless powder can also indicate deterioration.

biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven
    Pyrodex is not smokeless powder. From everything I have read on other boards dedicated to black powder shooting, the subs are as stable in storage as the "real black" keep it dry and it will go boom.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    VNVGunner, he was talking about Pyrodex which is not a smokeless powder.

Half-cocked, I am guessing if there is no moisture, you should be fine, but this is just a guess.
    Pyrodex is similar in composition to black powder, consisting primarily of charcoal, sulphur, and potassium nitrate, but it also contains graphite and potassium perchlorate, plus additional ingredients protected by trade secret
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_powder_substitute
    Pottasium nitrate and pottasium perchlorate I think are very stable, but the pottasium nitrate is very hygroscopic (likes to soak up water). I am willing to bet that Pyrodex in the bottle it came in is more resilient than black powder after ten years.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Does anyone know if Pyrodex is stable in long-term storage?

I have some old Pyrodex (maybe 10 years?) laying around. It has been stored in a stable environment, sealed inside an airtight dry box. It's probably good, but I though I'd ask "just in case".
    This may be a good site to post that question. :thumbsup:

GoexPowder|Forum

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    As the guy at the black powder shop says, put some in a small pile and hit it with a match, if it flares up your good to go. Don't want to test it when that deer crosses your sights.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I do appreciate the lesson on smokeless powder. I actually thought it was more stable than BP or the subs.
    I think smokeless powder hold up much better in storage because of the water deal, but I think the difference is that when black powder and substitutes go bad you get a fizzle or weak charge, but when smokeless powder goes bad, sometimes you get a much more powerful or faster burning powder creating a kaboom as I understand it.

Also I would guess BP holds up much better in repeated extremes of heat and cold than smokeless.
    I have heard of people shooting 110 year old Spencer black powder rounds before with no fail to fires, so I they can hold up fine though the years without airconditioning, then that is a good testiment towards BP's durability IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom