• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • macmac360

May 29, 2013
    Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I recently moved to MD from PA (work and family reasons, not because I wanted to) and I brought my firearms with me (couple AR's, misc. shotguns and handguns). I also have a stripped AR lower that I have had for over a year. My questions are:

1. Is it still legal after Oct 1 to buy AR parts (uppers, BCG, etc.) so I can build that lower into a rifle? Will online sellers ship those parts to MD?
    2. Can I keep my 30 rd mags and handgun mags over 10 rounds?
    3. Do I need to do anything related to registration for my black rifles (I have all receipts and paperwork proving I purchased them years ago) I believe the answer is "no" but thought I would ask anyway.
    4. Can someone briefly summarize the major changes to the laws?

I appreciate anyone's time in replying to these questions, in PA I didn't have much to worry about but the laws in this state pretty much suck as far as I can tell.

Thanks guys!! :cool:

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Yes, you can buy AR parts after 10/1. Don't know who will ship, but it's not illegal to do that.

Yes, you can keep all magazines. You can still buy the bigger ones out of state and bring them back in as well. Just can't buy them here.

No, you don't need to register as long as you're living here now. Only people moving in after 10/1 have to register.

There are several threads with summaries, so check those. It's quite exhaustive.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    1. yes
    2. yes
    3. no
    4. search, it's not brief. there is a good summary of SB281 in here several places

what they call assault rifles banned after 10/1 unless they are an AR-15 HBAR but existing legally possessed rifles are grandfathered

you cannot purchase a magazine over 10 rounds after 10/1 but possession is not prohibited

you will need an HQL (similar to a FOID) license to buy a handgun after 10/1 but not needed to continue to possess what you already legally have

no changes on regular long guns

OK to build lowers into full rifles after 10/1 apparently

since you moved in before 10/1 you don't have to register a thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom