• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I just took delivery of some ammo that I purchased using my credit card. For those of you in the retail business, what is the new merchant code(s) for firearms related purchases and how do I find whether my merchant applied it to this particular purchase? Is it mandatory or up to the individual merchant to decide whether to apply the new code or continue using the old "sporting goods" code?

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I just took delivery of some ammo that I purchased using my credit card. For those of you in the retail business, what is the new merchant code(s) for firearms related purchases and how do I find whether my merchant applied it to this particular purchase? Is it mandatory or up to the individual merchant to decide whether to apply the new code or continue using the old "sporting goods" code?
    Here are the guides on the MCC codes. One is for VISA and the other for Mastercard.

Attachments

• quick-reference-booklet-merchant-edition.pdf
      4.8 MB · Views: 199
    • visa-merchant-data-standards-manual.pdf
      1.3 MB · Views: 77

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Kshaw, please delete those guides from your post. They are out-of-date and obsolete.
    The Mastercard is from 2018, and the Visa from November 2021.
    They are not relevant to the new MCC that was implemented in September 2022 just for firearms.

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018

Also, if I may, again I ask out of ignorance, Would the codes apply to purchases completed with apple-pay, google-pay, paypal, etc (I use neither). I detected some fraudulent transactions on one of my debit cards and was surprised to realise that ebay classifies almost everthing as apparel.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Can anyone tell me what the old "sporting goods" code is and what the new "firearms" code is?

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    Any updates on this? I read that although MC, Visa and Discover all agreed to use these new codes, as of a few days ago; Discover is the only credit card company that went ahead with using a special new code for firearms, ammo (and probably other firearms related purchases (powder anyone....?)). Its obvious this is so they can report it for some nefarious anti-American purpose. This is the final straw for Discover card; they refused to let people use their card to donate to the Rittenhouse defense fund, and now tracking firearms purchases.... they are going loony like Disney did recently.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Any updates on this? I read that although MC, Visa and Discover all agreed to use these new codes, as of a few days ago; Discover is the only credit card company that went ahead with using a special new code for firearms, ammo (and probably other firearms related purchases (powder anyone....?)). Its obvious this is so they can report it for some nefarious anti-American purpose. This is the final straw for Discover card; they refused to let people use their card to donate to the Rittenhouse defense fund, and now tracking firearms purchases.... they are going loony like Disney did recently.
    The CC companies put the initiative on hold as they were threatened to be sued by over half of the US states attorney generals.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I use my Discover card via PayPal to make donations to MSI. Now if only Everytown or the Giffords would send out postage-paid donation envelopes that I could use to send back notes saying "Sorry, I'm not donating." :D

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    Thanks. And that's clever, using their paid postage against them. I recall someone long ago taping something like that to mail a brick back $$$. lol

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I understand from the news updates that Visa and Amex have paused on implementing the new CC merchant codes.

1. What's to keep them from quietly implementing them once the furor dies down?
    2. Has anyone defined what a "suspicious" purchase amount is that warrants a report to ATF, or are they planning to do a monthly dump of all transactions under that merchant code?

3. Is there anything keeping the merchants from retaining their old sporting goods merchant code and not even using the new firearms code at all?

4. Does a merchant select one code to conduct all their credit card transactions or do they divide the individual items within a given order and code them with multiple codes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom