• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crazycarl7

Feb 21, 2009
    Did the paperwork on a handgun on 5/15. Got a call from the ffl that I can come and pick it up. When I got there I had to sign a early release form, because the paperwork was not back yet. My qurstion is, When my paperwork is returned after 10/1, will I need to have any of the HQL requirements done if I already have possession of the firearm? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I have been given conflicting answers. Thanks

crazycarl7

Feb 21, 2009
    Okay so, as long as you have possession of the weapon, and did the paperwork prior to 10/1, you will not need HQL when paperwork comes back approved AFTER 10/1. If this is so, how does the MSP know you have possession of the weapon? Also, who is in charge of making sure you have a HQL when purchasing the weapon? The reason I ask is, when MSP finally looks at the paperwork that was submitted prior to 10/1 but its now , lets say 10/15, will that application be not approved because they do not have a HQL? If someone with better knowledge wants to pick up the phone to explain this to me, feel free to send me a pm. It's all very confusing

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    The FFL is responsible for the HQL stuff, and they'll have records of everything. I doubt they'll make people re-submit with the HQL info on it. There are a few unknowns on how it will be handled. Just know that once you go in and pick up your gun, the transaction is complete. It's your gun, whether the paperwork comes back or not. The MSP could technically never complete the background check, and that won't affect you any.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Picking up a firearm after waiting 8 days is perfectly legal per both the ATF and MSP. I didn't read that part of the proposed COMAR that was passed but I don't think the MSP addressed the issue you describe. If so, there's a bunch of us who'll get the 6am knock on the front door.

crazycarl7

Feb 21, 2009
    The FFL is responsible for the HQL stuff, and they'll have records of everything. I doubt they'll make people re-submit with the HQL info on it. There are a few unknowns on how it will be handled. Just know that once you go in and pick up your gun, the transaction is complete. It's your gun, whether the paperwork comes back or not. The MSP could technically never complete the background check, and that won't affect you any.

Thanks. The only issue is that what if MSP starts dissaproving paperwork that was submitted because it is without HQL info, and I already have the gun in my possession? There will be a lot of people in this boat

crazycarl7

Feb 21, 2009
    Picking up a firearm after waiting 8 days is perfectly legal per both the ATF and MSP. I didn't read that part of the proposed COMAR that was passed but I don't think the MSP addressed the issue you describe. If so, there's a bunch of us who'll get the 6am knock on the front door.

That's my point exactly. It could get ugly

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom