• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cfr

Dec 1, 2021
    I guess the first step to becoming a MD shooter is to get the guns in to MD.

I'm not sure if this is straightforward or complicated so I thought I'd ask here. I have seen a number of threads with related questions but some of them are dated and I think my specifics might be significant.

I've lived in Maryland since 1987. In the 80's and 90's I acquired some guns by personal sale (Glock 19, Sig P226, etc...), gift (Ruger 10/22, Remington 1100, etc...), or store purchase (recent Sig 716i). I've always kept them at my parents house in Virginia.

My father purchased a number of handguns, shotguns, rifles in the 80's and 90's. (including a semi-automatic Uzi; thanks dad! :)) He died in 99 and I guess technically the "ownership" passed to my mother. She has given various guns to me and my siblings, but not through any official transfer/channel. The ones "given" to me have remained in Virginia.

Mom's 94 and it's time to start thinking about what it's going to take to get the guns to Maryland. So I guess my questions are:

1) What, if anything, do I need to do bringing the ones that I purchased or received as a gift into Maryland. The only documentation I have is a handwritten bill of sale for the P226, store receipt for the 716i. The Ruger, Remington, etc... were Christmas/birthday gifts.

2) What, if anything, do I need to do to bring my father's guns (that mom gave to me) into Maryland. In a sense I 'inherited' them from my father but not in a strictly legal sense. If necessary I can wait to officially inherit my father's guns from my mother when she passes. Is there something I should sort out now that will make the process easier when the time comes?

Since all this stuff was bought in the late 80's I have no idea if/when/how/to whom it was registered (I do know that we've never done any paperwork transferring/registering them in my mom's name after my father died). It's my understanding that if I _inherit_ the Uzi I can bring it to Maryland, but what does that exactly mean; need it be explicitly specified in a will or just documented that in probate that I got to keep the guns.

If this is complicated and I really need a lawyer so be it but if it's not then...

Thanks.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Since you have been a resident the whole time, there is no issue for the guns you purchased (assuming they were legally purchased).

There was no requirement for "formal" transfer of handguns until Oct 1, 1996. After that point, the transfer should have gone through an FLL or MSP. Also, to be a legal transfer between two people, the handguns had to be purchased from an MD resident, in MD. You could not have legally purchased handguns from a VA resident.

As for the ones that you mother is giving you, if they include anything banned, then you cannot get them. You have to wait to inherit them from her. And I would make sure you get that written into her will to avoid issues.

I am not sure about the transfer of firearms from a relative in VA to an MD resident. I think they will need to be transferred through an FFL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom