• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NIK

Jul 31, 2012
    MD
    I may have to move from VA to MD for work. I thought I knew the deal with this 10/1 stupidity, but just read something that was new to me. If I move AFTER 10/1, anything regulated I own I have to register and pay a fee, but if I move BEFORE 10/1 will I still have to? I did a search online and saw this...

http://justinready.com/omalleygunbill/

Where it says I (or anyone in possession of evil guns) would have 30 days to register anything considered "banned" for it to be legal. Is that true?

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    I may have to move from VA to MD for work. I thought I knew the deal with this 10/1 stupidity, but just read something that was new to me. If I move AFTER 10/1, anything regulated I own I have to register and pay a fee, but if I move BEFORE 10/1 will I still have to? I did a search online and saw this...

http://justinready.com/omalleygunbill/

Where it says I (or anyone in possession of evil guns) would have 30 days to register anything considered "banned" for it to be legal. Is that true?

The final version of the bill requires you to register anything brought into the state after 10/1/2013 but doesn't require anything brought in before 10/1/2013 but I am not sure about Maryland Residential requirements. If you aren't already in the state it is likely already too late to move in and avoid paying the fee.

Thanks
    Robert

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Howdy. Join the fight.

www.marylandshallissue.org

NIK

Jul 31, 2012
    MD
    The final version of the bill requires you to register anything brought into the state after 10/1/2013 but doesn't require anything brought in before 10/1/2013 but I am not sure about Maryland Residential requirements. If you aren't already in the state it is likely already too late to move in and avoid paying the fee.

Thanks
    Robert

Thanks. I should be able to move on time. I have family in MD, a old car garaged and registered in MD, and a rental property I own. As far as I know it's just a license issue date.

rcbusmc24

Sep 24, 2013
    I have a similar question to this

Currently in the Marine Corps, Home of record (considered resident of / pay taxes and recieve all mail) is MD (Sharpsburg area)
    I am stationed in DC, and have an apartment in Alexandria VA -VA is where I do most of my shooting and I now have a VA DL and Carry Permit
    So -My Question

Right now I drive regulated firearms back and forth all the time between the two states. Once Oct 1 rolls over will I have a problem with bringing stuff out of MD and then taking it back for storage with out having to now register it? Right now I am in a non deployable unit but eventually I will PCS and have to put stuff back in storage for a while. Plus I really do not want to either move more safes any more than I have to.

I know the easy answer is "Just move everything to VA - Screw MD, go be free" but that will only work for the next two years or so, Eventually I'll catch orders back to Cali and I won't be able to take most of my stuff out there either. The solution previously was always to store it back home but now I am worried that if I take it out of the state IOT use it then technically I can't bring it back in, Even though it was leagally in the state the day before.

I've been looking for info on this, but I admit my situation is kind of different and I can find no strong guidence on how previously unregistered rifles are going to be handled if residents take them out of state. I guess the real question is - Is it the gun or the person that counts as the resident?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Per SB 281, if you owned them before Oct 1, you are fine. There is no restrictions on possession or transport based on residency. just that they be legally owned pre 10-1.

Transport in MD according to MD statute 4-203

IANAL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom