• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Another thing that won't help- but something to keep in mind- these people are repeat offenders in the court system- meaning they got caught more than once. How many offenses were committed between getting caught?

synuepka

Mar 1, 2013
    The attached zip file contains a sample of cases in 2013 containing the word "FIREARM" at District Court for Baltimore City 5800 Wabash Ave. Case numbers increment by 7, excluding cases which have been withheld from the public.

The name, DOB, charges, disposition, disposition date, and parole end date fields are easy to parse out of the case search files.

Anyone willing to help with constructing a database schema and the scripts to analyze to the resulting data? I have the hardware and software resources, but not the time to do it all on my own.

Attachments

• firearm_cases_sample.zip
      380.7 KB · Views: 31

synuepka

Mar 1, 2013
    So what is happening with this? Can I help in any way?

Did we figure out how to get the info we want?

Still aggregating case search data for Baltimore City - 510,981 cases and counting (6GB of html files).

I have developed scripts necessary to build a table of unique defendants (name+middle+last+dob as a unique key), a table of cases, and a table of probation/pbj end dates.

Test import against 127,411 cases on Wednesday completed with only a few errors that were manually corrected. Of those cases 4,138 involved firearms, and 125 of defendants in those cases were on probation/pbj at the time of the case's creation. Obviously these numbers will rise as I import more cases, catching more past convictions.

Another interesting statistic - of the 127,411 cases, about 5,000 defendents account for about 60,000 of the cases. :sad20:

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Still aggregating case search data for Baltimore City - 510,981 cases and counting (6GB of html files).

I have developed scripts necessary to build a table of unique defendants (name+middle+last+dob as a unique key), a table of cases, and a table of probation/pbj end dates.

Test import against 127,411 cases on Wednesday completed with only a few errors that were manually corrected. Of those cases 4,138 involved firearms, and 125 of defendants in those cases were on probation/pbj at the time of the case's creation. Obviously these numbers will rise as I import more cases, catching more past convictions.

Another interesting statistic - of the 127,411 cases, about 5,000 defendents account for about 60,000 of the cases. :sad20:

I miss unix ... :(

synuepka

Mar 1, 2013
    661,792 cases retrieved, another 100,000 or so to go based on the Baltimore City District Court's numbering scheme.

synuepka

Mar 1, 2013
    Baltimore City District Court records have been retrieved for January 2000 to present. Total size of html files is 7.43GB.

Cases: 751,208
    Defendents (unique first+middle+last+dob): 480,388
    PBJ: 22,533
    Probation: 38,082

More to come, once the scripts have finished running and I have time to review the output.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    FWIW

azu4ute3.jpg

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    This is good thinking.

As an added suggestion, don't forget one can also case search by the name of the attorney as well, and a lot of our local gun grabbers in the General Assembly have made careers out of getting scumbags of one kind or another out of jail. Be interesting to publish some anecdotes on what some of those former "clients" of those General Assembly members who practice criminal defense have done since being released with their lawyer's help, especially in an election year.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    This is good thinking.

As an added suggestion, don't forget one can also case search by the name of the attorney as well, and a lot of our local gun grabbers in the General Assembly have made careers out of getting scumbags of one kind or another out of jail. Be interesting to publish some anecdotes on what some of those former "clients" of those General Assembly members who practice criminal defense have done since being released with their lawyer's help, especially in an election year.

^^^THIS^^^... is also good thinking...:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom