Is sending expungement “certificate of compliance” papers a must-do with NON-CONVICTION charges?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jennings215

Mar 27, 2023
    Maryland
    Had 2 charges expunged about 10 years ago, & 2 more just recently. Case search is completely clean. All were non convictions which ended in PBJ, Nolle & a stet. I don’t have the “certificate of compliance” as the first 2 was from so long ago, those papers are long gone… & the 2 recent I seen on Case search before they were erased that they both said “certificate of compliance” in activity section on the site.. just never received papers.
    But beings they was non convictions, does it matter if I have the actual papers to send fourth in the application? I understand actual convictions may be different.
    Also, thank you everyone that helped me with my most recent post btw

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    if they where not convictions then you dont need to worry about.

As for PBJ's that is a deep conversation here, and its started more than one argument. Do you have to be found guilty to get a pbj or not, is the question. IIRC there are some crimes called out that PBJ's are disqualifying and i think they are violent crimes.

You need to read the laws that are in effect right now for regulated firearm stuff.

Jennings215

Mar 27, 2023
    Maryland
    if they where not convictions then you dont need to worry about.

As for PBJ's that is a deep conversation here, and its started more than one argument. Do you have to be found guilty to get a pbj or not, is the question. IIRC there are some crimes called out that PBJ's are disqualifying and i think they are violent crimes.

You need to read the laws that are in effect right now for regulated firearm stuff.
    Thank you for the reply!
    I know none of mine are disqualifying, & I am going to answer honestly to arrest & charged & NO to convicted. Regardless of what anyone says, I am going to be honest.
    My main thing with this is would I need to produce the “certificate of compliance” or is that not that important since they’ll see everything is expunged anyway?.
    I’ve been doing alot of research but it’s hard finding any solid & credible answers.. this forum just gives me first person input.
    I’m trying to fully be prepared on what to expect come application time.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Thank you for the reply!
    I know none of mine are disqualifying, & I am going to answer honestly to arrest & charged & NO to convicted. Regardless of what anyone says, I am going to be honest.
    My main thing with this is would I need to produce the “certificate of compliance” or is that not that important since they’ll see everything is expunged anyway?.
    I’ve been doing alot of research but it’s hard finding any solid & credible answers.. this forum just gives me first person input.
    I’m trying to fully be prepared on what to expect come application time.
    They do say to attach any paperwork, but if you dont have it then you dont have it. I would just say " arrested for jumping rope in 1999, case was steted and expunged approx 2005" You are being honest, but pointing out what happened aka steted, nolo'ed etc

Jennings215

Mar 27, 2023
    Maryland
    They do say to attach any paperwork, but if you dont have it then you dont have it. I would just say " arrested for jumping rope in 1999, case was steted and expunged approx 2005" You are being honest, but pointing out what happened aka steted, nolo'ed etc
    That’s exactly what I’m going to do! It’s impossible to get them to send a new compliance certificate once it’s expunged. I just tend to think/prepare for any possible scenario.. dealing with the MSP it seems like they love making things hard & throwing hoops to jump through

Old-School Mark

My pronouns: Me, Myself and I.
    Jan 23, 2023
    Silver Spring
    That’s exactly what I’m going to do! It’s impossible to get them to send a new compliance certificate once it’s expunged. I just tend to think/prepare for any possible scenario.. dealing with the MSP it seems like they love making things hard & throwing hoops to jump through
    Any chance you used a lawyer for the expungement? If so, they should have copies.

LAC_MD

Oct 18, 2022
    Towson
    For MD and most other states you are likely good but if you want DC they have started denying people with those stet, Nollo Pros and PBJs

Jennings215

Mar 27, 2023
    Maryland
    Any chance you used a lawyer for the expungement? If so, they should have copies.
    No lawyer, did the expungements all by self. I called expungements department once I seen my case search was clean to verify & they said it’s literally zero records under my name… they can’t even see that I had anything expunged, which is a good thing because it makes me believe the process was done correctly!
    I just never received any papers in the mail & the other 2 was sooo long ago

Jennings215

Mar 27, 2023
    Maryland
    As has been said, honest answers all around, and you will get your permit. Say you don't have any paperwork so they won't have to ask about it.

Perhaps post up in the Introductions forum so we can know you better:

Absolutely! & I will head over to introductions shortly to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom