• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Long guns that are regulated are NOT required to be transported as handguns are. SBS and SBRs are treated the same way as handguns during transport.

Yeah, I'm not sure how you can read the law to imply that an AR15 is anything other than a rifle for transport. (unless it's an SBR).

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Being extra safe is a good idea, but telling people your own paranoid delusions and personal rituals as forum legal advice doesn't sound like a good plan. I have "read the laws" and im wondering where former regulated long arms falls under handgun transportation restrictions? As far as I know, a long arm is all the same in MD for transportation requirements, NFA excluded.

Where do people come up with this stuff?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Old guy, go back to the dealer trade in for an HBAR and problem solved.

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    I can identify with his question. I am still looking for confimation that if I take my pre - Oct.1 purchased handgun with a magazine capacity > 10 rounds to the state gun range am I risking it being confiscated? I understand that having purchased prior to Oct gives me the legal right to posses, however, does it give me the legal right to use a handgun with a magazine exceeding 10 rounds at a state run gun range?

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    if your talking about Elk Neck than your over doing the STATE RUN thing..... 99.9% of the time you will never see anyone from "the state" you put money in envelope and stuff it in drop box, then you go shoot. you just need targets and a stand with center 4' above ground. no range officers or supervisors, just you your rifle and usually some crazy guy next to you.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    MD doesn't prohibit pocession of magazines greater than 10 rounds, the state prohibits buying/transfer, and manufacturing.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Dad4, we don't have laws that tell us what we can do. If nothing prohibits pocession, then what do you think the answer is?

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    Thank you for your clarification. I was told by the security guard where I work that his son was at Elk Neck and witnessed a man taken into custody (handcuffed) who was shooting an assult type weapon. I became concerned about the question that I reviously posted regarding magazines exceeding 10 rounds being used post Oct. 1. I wondered if this is why this man was handcuffed and taken away. I called the phone number on the state forest shooting range ticket. The gentleman who answered identified himself as the range manager and said that he did not see a problem using magazines >10 , however, he stated that he was as confused about interpreting SB281 as anyone and he was seeking clarification regarding the law with no success?

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    The guy was probably pulling your leg, or if it was remotely true, it was of some other issue. When people tell stories that other people saw but werent directly involved things get a little skewed.

Lostfantum

Ultimate Member
    Nov 27, 2007
    Middle River, Maryland
    Come out to the range on a Saturday or Sunday there will be a Range Safety Officer on duty. Nothing has changed with what you can bring to the range. If someone was handcuffed and arrested they really had to do something seriously wrong. I am one of the Range Safety Officers there at Elk Neck.

Sep 18, 2013
    Towson
    First things first...

Have you been to Elk Neck State Forest before..?

Are you aware that you need to bring your target stand with you..?

Do know where you need to go to pay & pick up your day pass..?

My advice is that you go to the range tomorrow (or today) & look around to see what you need BEFORE you plan on doing any shooting...

The center of your target needs to be 4 feet off of the ground...

Some people build plastic stands some are built from wood, etc...

A complete set of rules & regulations can be found on the link below...

Hope this is helpful...

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/central/elkneckforest.asp

First.......
    Thank to all of you who took the time to answer my question
    This is going to veer off from 2A issues into more of a range report,as there were several comments concerning what I might find there. If this steps too far away from the intent of this Sub-Forum,i have no objection if a Mod wishes to delete or edit per policy.

To st23preston specifically, each and every question you asked was a good question.
    And for someone like myself,it would have been a good heads up to do my homework, and find out what to expect.

Fortunately, I did go to the link and downloaded/read everything that was there yesterday evening before posting.
    So we had the stand,and the targets,and paid for the permits with the little envelope,and actually had an enjoyable time today.
    Every station was occupied, and 80% of the guns were some version of the AR platform. Magazines went from 10-30rd capacity across the board.

Platforms went from first timers like myself with a simple Stag-3, to gear that looked to go into the several thousands of dollars, and a focused intensity to pull that group in just a leetle bit tighter.

Shooters without exception were kind, helpful and polite.

There was a Ranger presence off and on briefly, but no undue focus on who was shooting what, and with what size magazine.

Again, I thank each of you that took the time to share their insight with me.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    First.......
    Thank to all of you who took the time to answer my question
    This is going to veer off from 2A issues into more of a range report,as there were several comments concerning what I might find there. If this steps too far away from the intent of this Sub-Forum,i have no objection if a Mod wishes to delete or edit per policy.

To st23preston specifically, each and every question you asked was a good question.
    And for someone like myself,it would have been a good heads up to do my homework, and find out what to expect.

Fortunately, I did go to the link and downloaded/read everything that was there yesterday evening before posting.
    So we had the stand,and the targets,and paid for the permits with the little envelope,and actually had an enjoyable time today.
    Every station was occupied, and 80% of the guns were some version of the AR platform. Magazines went from 10-30rd capacity across the board.

Platforms went from first timers like myself with a simple Stag-3, to gear that looked to go into the several thousands of dollars, and a focused intensity to pull that group in just a leetle bit tighter.

Shooters without exception were kind, helpful and polite.

There was a Ranger presence off and on briefly, but no undue focus on who was shooting what, and with what size magazine.

Again, I thank each of you that took the time to share their insight with me.

John I shoot at "Hawg" Neck year round...

We typically shoot from 9AM = Noon, so it's generally empty at that time...

Also you picked the week before Rifle Season for Deer opened = lots of folks
    sighting in...

Stay away from "Hawg" Neck on Weekends = it's wild & wooley...

Sep 18, 2013
    Towson
    I expected to see some sighting in going on.
    But apparently this is the year for deer hunting with an AR derivative.

When we first got there, someone was sighting in a traditional hunting rifle of some type.
    By noon it was almost completely AR's from one end to the other.

Anyhow, again thanks for the help, and I can pm you if there is something of a specific nature.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Just a busy place nowadays. I've been to Elk Neck once, back in the mid 1990's, summer time, weekend. It was as busy as probably what is the slowest day in current time.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    My personal opinion is that there is a zero percent chance I am taking an AR to a state gun range. For the forseeable future, at least. I am not looking to get a firearm confiscated due to an NRP recruit's misunderstanding of SB281, and I am not looking to get into a 3-year, $100,000 court battle over said AR. You guys may say I'm wussing out, that's fine, you spend your day down there arguing with the game warden, and your next six months in court hearings.

Hopefully at some point, MSP and NRP will figure out how this law actually works and actually teach officers what activities, transport and guns are and are not regulated, banned, etc. My conversations with officers, along with the volumes of stories of LEOs having NO IDEA what SB 281 is all about (other than a policy lecture given to them by their superior officer, written by Mr. Dougie Gansler), is a whole lot of no bueno.

Until LEOs seem to understand the letter of the law, I'm not volunteering for "civic action duty" by uncasing an AR at a state gun range. Sorry!

What about Judges, Assistant State's Attorneys, etc.? I don't think anybody really understands the law as it is right now because there are so many areas of it that are terribly vague. It is going to take some clarification by the General Assembly (fat chance) or the courts before anybody really knows what the law is. It could take a decade or more before there is clarification. I am hoping that vast amounts of SB281 are struck down by the federal court system as being unconstitutional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom