• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Diesel-Dad

Jun 25, 2016
    HARFORD COUNTY
    I just picked up a howa 1500 mini action it’s a 16 inch threaded heavy barrel. It is barreled action only. I’d like a decent stock or chassis for this rifle. I love the way the elf owl chassis from j tac looks but at double what I payed for the barreled action I’m not really excited about it. I have two kids and one on the way so a collapsible stock is a plus for letting the kids plink comfortably. Are there any other options that are similar to the owl chassis. Also does anyone have a stock laying about I could put this thing in while I look for an adjustable chassis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Your options are mostly MDT, for $500-1000 for one of their Chassis, Bell and Carlson ($$$) or Boyd's ($), which might require a small amount of fitting.

You might also be able to track down a Legacy Sports take-off stock. That is what I did for my 22" .223 barreled mini action. I also have a 20" heavy barreled grendel, but I got that as a complete rifle from some buddy or other a couple of years ago (same stock though, but black. The one I found was green). Maybe check eBay? You could also contact Legacy Sports and they might sell you a stock directly.

The short and long action Howa 1500s have several extra options for stock makers. But the mini actions are very limited. I was kind of in the same boat. I'd like a nice chassis for my .223, but I don't want to pay more than the cost of the entire rifle for it.

If a take-off mini action stock doesn't turn up on eBay, your cheapest option is probably a basic Boyd's stock. I'd personally get the pillars even on the most basic of their stocks. The Spike camp is what I've been looking at for cost and light weight. They make several pretty adjustable stocks for not a ton of money either.

As a comparison though, their stocks aren't super light, not horrible, but just not great. Both of the Legacy sports polymer stocks (which do have aluminum pillars) weigh in at 1lb 11ozs and some change (actually I might be wrong and it is 1#13oz, I'd have to double check). It looks like the lightest out there that isn't something $$$ and custom is the Bell and Carlson at just over 2#, or the Boyd's spike camp is billed as I think 2.3# (2#3oz?)

Diesel-Dad

Jun 25, 2016
    HARFORD COUNTY
    Your options are mostly MDT, for $500-1000 for one of their Chassis, Bell and Carlson ($$$) or Boyd's ($), which might require a small amount of fitting.

You might also be able to track down a Legacy Sports take-off stock. That is what I did for my 22" .223 barreled mini action. I also have a 20" heavy barreled grendel, but I got that as a complete rifle from some buddy or other a couple of years ago (same stock though, but black. The one I found was green). Maybe check eBay? You could also contact Legacy Sports and they might sell you a stock directly.

The short and long action Howa 1500s have several extra options for stock makers. But the mini actions are very limited. I was kind of in the same boat. I'd like a nice chassis for my .223, but I don't want to pay more than the cost of the entire rifle for it.

If a take-off mini action stock doesn't turn up on eBay, your cheapest option is probably a basic Boyd's stock. I'd personally get the pillars even on the most basic of their stocks. The Spike camp is what I've been looking at for cost and light weight. They make several pretty adjustable stocks for not a ton of money either.

As a comparison though, their stocks aren't super light, not horrible, but just not great. Both of the Legacy sports polymer stocks (which do have aluminum pillars) weigh in at 1lb 11ozs and some change (actually I might be wrong and it is 1#13oz, I'd have to double check). It looks like the lightest out there that isn't something $$$ and custom is the Bell and Carlson at just over 2#, or the Boyd's spike camp is billed as I think 2.3# (2#3oz?)

Thanks for the info! I’ll look into these options. It’s just something about spending double what I payed for barreled action on a stock that bothers me lol.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks for the info! I’ll look into these options. It’s just something about spending double what I payed for barreled action on a stock that bothers me lol.

You and me both!

I've got about $750 in to my 20" 6.5G and around $650 in to my 22" .223 including mags, sling, and optics. In fairness, I got the Sig Whiskey 3, 3-9x40 on my 6.5G about half off for BF a couple of years ago and the 4-12x42 Engage the same.

They shoot awesome. I'll grant I am having a bit of a struggle with BOTH with certain bullets working up handloads, but they are both intrinsically very accurate still. I am just struggling with 123gr Hornady BTHP bullets in the 6.5. I just can't seem to get 5 shot groups below around 1.3 or 1.4MOA. In the .223, it is RMR 69gr BTHP are hovering around 1.5MOA best. It is only annoying because both are a good inexpensive bullet option. But, c'est la vie. I am finding stuff that works very well.

But both with nice factory match ammo and some of my handloads, shoot decently under 1MOA 5 shot groups (and it is just a sub-MOA 3 shot guarantee with some sort of factory match ammo). Even blasting stuff they shoot pretty well (I've yet to find even really awful factory blasting ammo that shoots less than 3MOA).

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    FYEBHtgh.jpg

MDT

I found my used (but not used) on Armslist of all places. Just keep an eye out, they're out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom