• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    I apologize ahead of time because I should know this answer and I am sure this question has been asked over and over. Under current law as I understand it, I am allowed to have preloaded mags on my way to the range, etc. as long as they are separate from the gun. Also, even with the new laws, I am still allowed to have more than 10 bullets in the mags just not allowed to purchase and new mags in Maryland (could go out of state of course). I just want to make sure if I hypothetically go to the range and have mags with say 12 or 30 rounds preloaded I am within the law..I believe that I am.

Thanks everyone!
    :party29:

Mr H

Banana'd
    Technically, all correct. Point of clarification--purchase of mags holding 10 rounds or less is still OK in MD, and any new purchase or taking possession (even trading) of 11+ rounders would have to be done out of state.

Note that there are some ranges, however, that do not allow "preloaded" magazines in the front door.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I apologize ahead of time because I should know this answer and I am sure this question has been asked over and over. Under current law as I understand it, I am allowed to have preloaded mags on my way to the range, etc. as long as they are separate from the gun. Also, even with the new laws, I am still allowed to have more than 10 bullets in the mags just not allowed to purchase and new mags in Maryland (could go out of state of course). I just want to make sure if I hypothetically go to the range and have mags with say 12 or 30 rounds preloaded I am within the law..I believe that I am.

Thanks everyone!

Yes. You can go to the range with all of the pre-loaded 100 round magazines that you want.

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    Thanks guys. I thought I was correct. Heard someone on a VA based radio show saying something different (speaking for themselves not giving advice) and I just wanted to be sure.

tomh

Jul 21, 2008

Thanks everyone!

That may be technically and legally correct, but my wife has received a briefing from the MSP stating that if they found a loaded magazine they will treat it like a firearm. Meaning of course they will arrest you if you don't have a carry permit. Just because it is supposedly legal doesn't mean they will in actuality treat it as such. My understanding of this discrepancy is that different attorney generals have interpreted it differently over time. I suspect if an officer finds it and feels like being a jerk, he will arrest you for it.

Also note the comment that many ranges will not let you enter with pre-loaded magazine. That is strongly enforced at many of the ranges.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That may be technically and legally correct, but my wife has received a briefing from the MSP stating that if they found a loaded magazine they will treat it like a firearm. Meaning of course they will arrest you if you don't have a carry permit. Just because it is supposedly legal doesn't mean they will in actuality treat it as such. My understanding of this discrepancy is that different attorney generals have interpreted it differently over time. I suspect if an officer finds it and feels like being a jerk, he will arrest you for it.

Print and carry -

http://www.mdshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=70213&d=1353781051

Letter is in force until a newer one comes out.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/getfile.aspx?file=29.03.01.07.htm
    .07 Magazine Capacity.

A. Except as provided in §B of this regulation, a person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than ten rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

B. This section does not apply to:

(1) A .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine;

(2) A law enforcement officer or a person who retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or a law enforcement agency in the State; or

(3) An exemption listed in Regulation .02D of this chapter.

You can go out of state to buy for sure, since there's no prohibition on possessing a magazine over 10 rounds...but theoretically even offering a magazing over 10 rounds for sale while in md would break the law. Now I would like to know how many people have actually been charged with this. I somehow think it's not very many.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    Technically, all correct. Point of clarification--purchase of mags holding 10 rounds or less is still OK in MD, and any new purchase or taking possession (even trading) of 11+ rounders would have to be done out of state.

Note that there are some ranges, however, that do not allow "preloaded" magazines in the front door.

What he says.....:lol::thumbsup::party29:

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD

A lot of MSP troopers haven't a clue about what the laws actually say, so asking a trooper about laws is just like asking an IRS phone "helper" about IRS laws (they haven't a clue either).

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC

Also note the comment that many ranges will not let you enter with pre-loaded magazine. That is strongly enforced at many of the ranges.

Ditto for this, and Mr. H and the others.

To be careful, I always keep firearms locked in one bag/case, mags separate, ammo separate (when I'm going to the range). Everything locked up. I know it's not required by the law, but I feel the belt+suspenders approach is good, just in case.

When I can, I keep things in a vehicle compartment not accessible from the passenger area (trunk, locked box in a pickup bed, etc.) for good measure.

Yes, I've lived in MD too long, that's just habit.

:sad20:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Once again there are at least three different discussions ; Actual statute , stated offical "preferences" of particular LE agency , what comes from random individual Ofc , and practices of wise and prudent person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom