• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I have a couple of rifles I want to gift to my son who is 18. Can I just do a 77R gift to him (no 4473 or FFL) or do I need to go through an FFL to transfer them to him?

I know MD law changed that said all gun transfers (including shotguns and rifles) need to go through an FFL (background check) to tranfer but, being a gift from one family member to another in the state of Maryland, can we still just go thorugh the MSP website and do a 77r for the transfers as a gift?

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Just talked to an FFL and with Biden's federal mandate I think we will wait until my son is 21. He is off to college and cant do anything with them anyway for the next 4-5 years so might as well just wait.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Official definition of immediate family member per statute:

“Immediate family member” means a spouse, a parent, a stepparent, a grandparent, a stepgrandparent, an aunt, an uncle, a sibling, a stepsibling, a child, a stepchild, a grandchild, a stepgrandchild, a niece, or a nephew, as related by blood or marriage.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Long gun transfers to direct family members within MD (children, spouses, siblings, etc.) are exempt from this regulation and can take place without going through an FFL.
    In my world, this remains true....always

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    As mentioned, no paperwork and definitely NO 77r for long guns but would not hurt to do a bill of Sale for $0 and date & sign for you both to keep.

BTW, Just an FYI but for inheritance on a pistol, online 77r is free and you do not even need to go to MSP barracks, Person who inherits it does the application all themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom