Duffy's Engraving Privately Made Firearms ends August 23rd.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kevin

Manager at Duffy's
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2013
    Sparks, MD
    Currently we are offering "state compliant" style engraving but not federally compliant. We have done our best to educate our customers to know the difference and make an informed decision.

We agree with Maryland Shall Issue's interpretation that once the new federal law goes into effect, it will not allow us to engrave "identifying markings" on a firearm without adhering to full federally compliant engraving mandates. For numerous reasons, we have decided to not offer that.
    Tuesday the 23rd of August will be the last day we offer identifying markings on an unmarked "frame" or "receiver."

TL;DR: The pertinent part of the Federal Register is:

"... licensees must record each receipt or other acquisition ... and disposition ... of a privately made firearm .... includ(ing) same-day or on-the-spot placement of identifying markings ...."​

The full context can be read here:

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...ver-and-identification-of-firearms#page-24746

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Just looking for information as to why…

Is the reason for ceasing the operation, that the entity applying the ATF version of the serial number, must be a FFL07 and must maintain a record of the new number and all customer data?

Or is there some other issue which we are not being told?

I’m really interested in specifics. Such as what part of the federal requirements are the objectionable issue?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Just looking for information as to why…

Is the reason for ceasing the operation, that the entity applying the ATF version of the serial number, must be a FFL07 and must maintain a record of the new number and all customer data?

Or is there some other issue which we are not being told?

I’m really interested in specifics. Such as what part of the federal requirements are the objectionable issue?
    I can't speak for the dealers (and don't), but I expect that dealers don't want to have to put the firearm on their A&D books, as required by the ATF Rule. Under the State "zip code" marking protocol, they don't have to do that, but the owner does have to register the firearm with the State Police. Under the ATF approach, such registration is not required, but the dealer DOES have to put firearm on their books and that's a hassle and poses legal risks.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    What are you charging per firearm and is there volume discount?
    They where charging IIRC 75 for the first, 25 for each additional with a max of 4. But that may have changed in the last month or two from when I read it.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I can't speak for the dealers (and don't), but I expect that dealers don't want to have to put the firearm on their A&D books, as required by the ATF Rule. Under the State "zip code" marking protocol, they don't have to do that, but the owner does have to register the firearm with the State Police. Under the ATF approach, such registration is not required, but the dealer DOES have to put firearm on their books and that's a hassle and poses legal risks.
    That is what I was thinking. But wanted to know. :shrug:
    I went with the ATF rule for mine... FMarEEland. :cool:

Where the rubber meets the road...
    It is the opinion of many... If the number on my P80 ever gets read by any Official... it won't be on a State registry. And at that point, I probably won't need to care about it.

Kevin

Manager at Duffy's
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2013
    Sparks, MD
    $50 for the first, $25 each additional, max of 4 at a time.
    Don't bring in the first or last hours of business, other than that it's walk in and we can generally have you in an out in 30 minutes to an hour depending on how busy we are.

mikem623

Jan 8, 2016
    Carney
    There are places to get the federal compliant engraving. One place is DC engraving in Hagerstown. Only will do ATF compliant. No 77r. Only drawback is that you must leave weapons overnight. Cost varies. When you have 10 or more the price was $25 per weapon. Have used his services twice this month

Kevin

Manager at Duffy's
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2013
    Sparks, MD
    30 minutes in Duffy's can get quite expensive!
    You must have been considering that fine 1908 Maxim machine gun by the door then!

Attachments

• photo_2022-06-15_16-21-00.jpg
      photo_2022-06-15_16-21-00.jpg
      257.7 KB · Views: 120
    Last edited:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    You must have been considering that fine 1908 Maxim machine gun by the door then!
    Oh I was eyeing that up today for sure!!!

Kudos to Duffy's, in and out quickly and a handful of P80 frames serialized. Looks great, thanks guys!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom