• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    THIS IS JUST INFORMATION GATHERING:

After looking around the internet lately for this specific rifle. I thought I would get into it due to the price of the ammo and I like to shoot the rifle sometimes that I wouldn’t mind making a long term investment for now. I have been reading the ISSF international shooting sport website but I am not exactly good with wording, I’m more of a picture man who learns by that method instead of reading. .

Since I don’t have the wallets of Bill Gates at this moment. I don’t want to spend over 2,000 for a rifle that will sit into my safe. I would like to keep it into the 500 to 700 range.

I thought about using my Receiver that I have, and just add a barrel that can take the front one that is circles. That I have display, I think I can get a stock from midway for 250 bucks and I know the sights cost over $250 as I checked on eBay. But what about the barrel? Will there any that will fit those sights with the .920 ones that will fit on the ruger receiver ?

If anyone has some knowledge about this or has the website that I can learn about this, please point me into the right direction and I will be more than happy dive into the wonderland!

Attachments

• Build it.jpg
      Build it.jpg
      9.9 KB · Views: 586

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    When I shot International Pistol, we sometimes shot alongside the rifle team in practice. They had a lot more equipment than us, and it didn't seem like a sport that lent itself to a small budget. They had special shoes, special pants, jackets, spotting scopes, ect ect ect.

Have you attended an event? If not, I would do so, and ask around about the total cost of someone's setup before spending money on a rifle. From my limited knowledge of that rifle game, nobody competitive does it without the right gear.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Since you are saying Ruger and .920 barrel are you talking about a 10/22?

I believe the front sights you want fit in a dovetail and I think any competent gunsmith could cut a dovetail in a .920 barrel to fit them. You should ask your gunsmith first before you buy anything.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my 10/22s . . . . BUT . . . For a real "competitive" rifle, IMHO, the Ruger 10/22 in ANY configuration is going to be spanked every time by the Anschutzes and Kimbers out there, not to mention the myraid of custom bolt guns that the serious guys are running.

If the 10/22 is something you like and want to work one over into a very accurate rifle, this works and there are some tackdrivers out there, but know now that you'll not be truly competitive at any serious event.

Even if the 10/22 is super-accurate overall, you'll still have that "first round syndrome", where shot #1 almost invariably goes outside the group. Not much, and not near enough to substantially affect the casual shooter or hunter, but enough to make your group a little bigger - opposite the desired effect and definitely enough to take you out of the top bracket . . .

Another mildly negative factor is the short barrels that 10/22s seem to invariably sport . . . there is no muzzle momentum to help with the position shooting. Many matches are won or lost entirely from the "standing" position. Even my own "target" 10/22's 20" .920 barrel is extremely muzzle light when compared to a real position rifle.

You might take a look at the CMP site, where they have a nice Kimber 82 right now for $600 or so. They also have a few new Anschutz position rifles in the $1,100-$1200 range. These rifles are complete with decent sights and inserts and are ready to run. IMHO, any of these will serve better as a real match rifle than putting the same money, or more, into a tricked out 10/22. They also occasionally have other .22 target rifles come into stock, and I picked up a CMP Remington 541x service rifle for $600 that drives them into one hole at 50 yards.
    http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/caliber22.htm
    http://www.odcmp.com/Rifles/cal22commercial.htm

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom