• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • verizonguy

Sep 30, 2010
    Bel Air, MD
    Just throwing this out here to see if anyone knows the official answer on this. I have come across a Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport for a price that I am really having a hard time saying no to. I usually build all my AR's, but for this price, I can't pass it up.

My question is this. Is a Smith and Wesson M&P15 Sport 223 Rem | 5.56 NATO - 811036 considered a cash and carry AR? I ask this because I have (2) people I know that each bought the same AR I am looking at. The paperwork was done at (2) different locations and each FFL dealer told them each something different. My one friend was allowed to take the AR as Cash and Carry, and the other was told it was regulated and had to wait for the registration paperwork to come back.

So which is it, is it Cash and Carry, or is it regulated?

watts

Jun 17, 2013
    moco
    It would appear that it can be both depending on your FFL. I would buy it/transfer it to one who will do it unregulated.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    This is the model with the heavy barrel and without the dust cover, correct? Last shop I was at they were selling them cash and carry b/c of the heavy barrel.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    If the M&P Sport is a copy of the Colt Sporter HBar, it should be cash & carry

boink

Jul 31, 2012
    My Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport was regulated...non cash and carry... This purchase was little less then 2 years ago...

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    This is the model with the heavy barrel and without the dust cover, correct? Last shop I was at they were selling them cash and carry b/c of the heavy barrel.

Yep this right here. All Hbar models are cash and carry, tapered barrel to accommodate a grenade launcher= regulated.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Yeah, it looks like no dust cover or forward assist.

correct the sport model has no dust cover or forward assist, while the regulated M&P 15(non sport) has a dust cover and forward assist and runs a few hundred dollars more than the sport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom