Carbine conversion for Glocks and 1911's...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I was flipping through Shotgun News and saw an advertisement for mechtechsys.com that shows a carbine conversion for Glocks and 1911 handguns. They start at $359 for the base model and they look to be ~$600 by the time you get an actual telescoping butstock, foregrip, and sights. Basically, the conversion just replaces the slide and barrel assembly. Has anyone in the group tried one of these things? It looks like they're trying to be a Colt 9mm without the AR15 lower receiver.

johnhmpg

Mar 14, 2011
    They are perfectly legal. I have a 1911 conversion to 460 Rowland. Build quality is excellent and accuracy is very good. I got the adjustable stock and quad rail and it came out around 600 dollars.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    They are perfectly legal. I have a 1911 conversion to 460 Rowland. Build quality is excellent and accuracy is very good. I got the adjustable stock and quad rail and it came out around 600 dollars.

A lot of the kits do get in the NFA realm. You can't put a stock on something with a sub-16" barrel without a stamp.

johnhmpg

Mar 14, 2011
    A lot of the kits do get in the NFA realm. You can't put a stock on something with a sub-16" barrel without a stamp.

There are no kits from mechtech systems that are NFA. All of their kits are 16.25 in barrels.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Yes, they specifically state that all of their uppers are 16" barrels thus you don't make an SBR by converting a handgun to a carbine. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with a 9mm upper. I was weighing this option versus a 16" barrel M4 upper for my Match HBAR Colt AR15 in 223.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom