• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this, so if not I apologize. I know there are discussions on gun safe topics on here etc but I need some advice. I currently have a Winchester 24 gun safe that is fire proof. I want something larger, but am economically strapped like so many others. Dunhams has a Cannon Safari 48 gun safe that is fire proof on sale for $699.00. What are your opinions/suggestions on this? I want something with more room and security than my current safe.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It looks comparable to the Scout series on the Cannon website - I think that the Safari series is made specifically to be sold by places like Dunham's and Cabela's. The main differences is in height - 55" as opposed to a full 60" for height, and only a thickness of 20" as opposed to 28" - fairly narrow front to back.

In terms of security, it's probably going to be 12 gauge steel, which is thinner than 10 or 8 gauge of heavier-duty safes, and the door is composite, meaning that it's the same sheet steel sandwiching a fire resistant material, rather than having a thicker, plate steel door.

I wish it had a better photo - specifically one with the door open. That way we could see the locking bolts - you need to have them on more than just the one side - if they are only on the side opposite the hinge, there are videos online showing just how quickly a couple of guys with pry bars can get into them - less than 5 minutes.

If you really need something now, it would probably get you where you wanted to go, but there have been more than a few threads on safes where the general consensus is that you get what you pay for. A safe like that will keep the average Freddie Felon at bay, but it will barely slow down any one even slightly motivated.

Something to consider, and again it's something that comes up in gun safe discussions, is the value of what you intend to store. There are guys who have tactical bolt guns where they've spent the better part of 5 grand on the build and glass, but only want to spend a few hundred on the safe that's intended to keep it safe.

My advice would be to make do for a while if you can, until you've got a bit bigger budget, and then get something a bit more solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom