Can an FFL Ship a Maryland Banned Firearm to a Legal State?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • manderson

Ultimate Member
    Jun 3, 2008
    Short and sweet, can we sell our banned firearms and have an FFL dealer ship them to a legal state? I just had an FFL dealer tell me they can not ship an AR-15 unless it was in there inventory prior to October 1st. I find this hard to believe, that an FFL dealer can not ship a Maryland banned firearm if we decide to sell them to someone in another state where it is legal.

manderson

Ultimate Member
    Jun 3, 2008
    I just cleared this up by speaking with Mark Bowen, Assistant Attorney General. According to criminal law article 4-302(3) it is perfectly legal for an FFL to accept and ship a firearm on the Maryland banned list to another state where the firearm is legal. End of story.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    FFLs can sell anything they wish to anyplace that it is still legal.

We are still receiving, selling and shipping ARs and other banned guns, just not in Maryland.

Bean Guy

Apr 4, 2013
    Eldersburg
    On a related topic, according to Mr. Bowen, it is prefectly legal to send a banned gun out of state for warranty work and then have it returned. He even added that if the manufacturer replaced the gun instead of repairing it that would be fine as well, just make sure to keep all paperwork related to the transaction.

brian0128

Nov 30, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD
    On a related topic, according to Mr. Bowen, it is prefectly legal to send a banned gun out of state for warranty work and then have it returned. He even added that if the manufacturer replaced the gun instead of repairing it that would be fine as well, just make sure to keep all paperwork related to the transaction.

That's good to know. I've been wondering what would happen if that situation arose. Thanks.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Get that in writing?

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    I just cleared this up by speaking with Mark Bowen, Assistant Attorney General. According to criminal law article 4-302(3) it is perfectly legal for an FFL to accept and ship a firearm on the Maryland banned list to another state where the firearm is legal. End of story.

There was a similar conversation amongst members of this board over the weekend regarding out of state sales of banned "AW's" by a non-dealer:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=134264&highlight=Armslist

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=134183&highlight=Armslist

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    Is it legal for an individual in Maryland to sell a banned firearm to an FFL out of state where it's legal? Example, putting an AK on consignment in a PA shop?

Rfrazier202

Sep 20, 2013
    Is it legal for an individual in Maryland to sell a banned firearm to an FFL out of state where it's legal? Example, putting an AK on consignment in a PA shop?

This is an interesting question because of the consignment aspect. Would putting a rifle on consignment constitute as a "transfer" of said firearm? If so, I imagine giving it to the shop wouldn't be an issue, getting it back if it doesn't sell however...that may be a different story.

pilgrim

This is an interesting question because of the consignment aspect. Would putting a rifle on consignment constitute as a "transfer" of said firearm? If so, I imagine giving it to the shop wouldn't be an issue, getting it back if it doesn't sell however...that may be a different story.

Who owns it while it is on consignment? It is just on display at the dealers, ownership has not changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom