• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I have and extra upper that came off of a Colt 6720 with a BCM bcg and I want to put together a lower for it.

I've figured a basic lower can be built for around $320 using cheap parts. I can buy a new complete Colt lower on GB for about $650, so my question is whether the extra for the Colt would be worth it.

I'm sure some of you will suggest I can build something as good or better than the Colt for the money and I'd like to hear about it, but not if it involves any parts that are not currently available.

I've never built an AR lower so I don't to buy any high buck parts and build a very pretty paperweight. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Bisondice

Ultimate Member
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hagerstown
    just watch some youtube vids on putting a lower together. If that looks fun and easy to you, do it and get that sense of self accomplishment every time you shoot YOUR gun:thumbsup:

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Assembling a lower from scratch is very easy and does not take long at all. Are you thinking of doing a 80% or a 100% unit to start ? Do you like the precision and finish of a billet? Solid trigger guard? or open? Any Styles or a certain Manufacture? Don't let the assemble part keep you from building what you want or like !!

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I don't mind building a lower, as a mater of fact, I have an 80% lower that I have not drilled yet and I'm looking forward to building it.

Just how big of a difference is a low cost stripped lower than a higher priced stripped lower?

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I've figured a basic lower can be built for around $320 using cheap parts. I can buy a new complete Colt lower on GB for about $650, so my question is whether the extra for the Colt would be worth it.

You can actually do it on the cheap for about $200. I bought an Aero Precision blemished lower for $85 and a LPK/Stock kit from PSA for $90. Toss in shipping and $25 transfer, comes in less than $250.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    They can vary in price from the lower priced forged lowers up to some of the fancier, enhanced CNC'd lowers.. the CNC'd are a little more precise, but they all function. You will pay a little more for a CNC'd lower (generally) but you do get a nice lower to build upon.

Assembling them is easy, LPKs are around now and stock kits, so there is no real difficulty getting parts, except for perhaps a precision trigger, they can be a little more scarce. You can enhance a std mil-spec trigger group to perform nicely though. ;)

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Basically, no... the more critical parts to a build would be the barrel, bcg and perhaps trigger group, the other parts (lower, upper, etc..) are pretty much similar with cosmetic differences.

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    I have and extra upper that came off of a Colt 6720 with a BCM bcg and I want to put together a lower for it.

What a coincidence...I have two completley built out lowers that I don't have uppers for...

why dont I just take that.......:innocent0

seriously its easy. its like legos...watch youtube

Brad

Mar 20, 2013
    Glen Arm
    I dont think the 650$ for the colt lower is worth it. You can practically build 2 complete lower for that price and both will function exactly the same. If i am not mistaken arent colt lowers made by another forging company and later branded with colt? I think i read this on another thread recently, if your stuck on the idea of a colt, find out which forger it is and buy the same lower from another branding.

Brad

Mar 20, 2013
    Glen Arm
    I would say you are fine to look at cheaper priced lower as they are of great quality. I would recommend the aero precision, PSA lowers at the moment. They are consistantly in stock for 119$ on their manufactuers website. They usually have blemished lower for around 90$ fairly consistantly as well. If your looking for a billet lower ARPartsfinder.com usually has atleast one company selling Noveske lowers for around 250$ which are of great quality as well.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I am building my last one. Safe is full. :o

So far the hardest part has been the bolt catch.

Like others have said, just follow bouncing youtube video, and you too can be an expert.

After tomorrow when UPS arrives I will have all my parts. Then this weekend wifey goes away and build will finalize!!!!!

Brad

Mar 20, 2013
    Glen Arm
    Unless you buy an 80% be prepared to wait forever to get the lower released from the FFL....but you knew that already, I suppose. :)

When you buy your lower just get it shipped to a FFL listed under the MD2A issues thread that shows all the FFL's doing 8 day releases. Stupid thread forced my to buy even more lowers becasue I got tired of waiting for the ones I had already bought.:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom