• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    Anybody here been boar hunting with one of the near preserves. Was looking at a couple in OH, PA. Cant really afford to hunt big game out west, so was looking to stack the freezer deep and take a non-typcal MD animal.

Also was thinking about a ram or mt. goat?

TIA

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    Anybody here been boar hunting with one of the near preserves. Was looking at a couple in OH, PA. Cant really afford to hunt big game out west, so was looking to stack the freezer deep and take a non-typcal MD animal.

Also was thinking about a ram or mt. goat?

TIA

yup I went the end of march/first of april of this year down in Tennesse. we had a great time. what would u like to know? i posted a pic of the russian boar i shot in this section.

drott

Apr 18, 2007
    Wild Boars are in Maryland!

I've seen wild boars in Southern Maryland running wild out in the woods before. I reported them to the local DNR, and they said they have never received any reports of them before (not sure they believed me). I think they thought I was nuts, but then a few days later I ran into another one, this time a lot bigger (looked just like the one on the other thread that got shot). Big hairy ba$tard running like a hog to get away from me, I'd guess he was at least 200lbs, probably bigger. After he ran off, I checked out the areas they were hanging out in and there were mudholes that had been dug up and disturbed and some trees had bark scraped off their lower trunks. Didn't see any of that pig fur stuck to the trees, but it was clear they were hanging out there. Scared the caca out of me, because I've heard they can turn on you in a bad way if they feel threatened by you. And I definitely threatened them because I rode up on them real fast and surprised them on my mountain bike. And all I had to defend myself was the mountain bike.

Anyway, maybe look into it a bit more closely, you might be able to find some pigs to hunt right here in Maryland somewhere. I know I did, and I wasn't even looking for them. :D

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    I've seen wild boars in Southern Maryland running wild out in the woods before. I reported them to the local DNR, and they said they have never received any reports of them before (not sure they believed me). I think they thought I was nuts, but then a few days later I ran into another one, this time a lot bigger (looked just like the one on the other thread that got shot). Big hairy ba$tard running like a hog to get away from me, I'd guess he was at least 200lbs, probably bigger. After he ran off, I checked out the areas they were hanging out in and there were mudholes that had been dug up and disturbed and some trees had bark scraped off their lower trunks. Didn't see any of that pig fur stuck to the trees, but it was clear they were hanging out there. Scared the caca out of me, because I've heard they can turn on you in a bad way if they feel threatened by you. And I definitely threatened them because I rode up on them real fast and surprised them on my mountain bike. And all I had to defend myself was the mountain bike.

Anyway, maybe look into it a bit more closely, you might be able to find some pigs to hunt right here in Maryland somewhere. I know I did, and I wasn't even looking for them. :D

in 10-14 days a domestic pig let into the wild will turn back into a boar, ( start growing there hair out, and tusk ) what you saw was most likely a ferral hog that got loose, or someone let go. down where i was hunting there where wild boar's, ferral hogs, and boar's mixed with hog's. they're all ugly little things, but a blast to hunt, and they taste great.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County

Actually that was some of the local women on a nature hike. :lol2::irule:

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    Talked to a guy in bedford pa. (The wilderness) They have Russian boars for 495$ and Rams for 450$. Were probally gonna go in june.If we can get 5 hunters to go he will throw the lodging in for free!. Since it is the slow season( not many like to hunt in 85 degree days).

southern md sure sounds good, but there are plenty of HOGS to hunt in Hagerstown and Frederick!

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Stay away from Tioga Hunting Preserve in Tioga Pa unless you like to hunt in a fenced 2 acre lot with trees. They will tell you it's 150 acres, BS. I went many years ago and was not happy after I had paced off the area. But if you want a Heart Stopping Hog Hunt there is Jay Dorsey's Trophy Lodge down in Blackstock SC. You hunt with dogs and trucks and you can kill with anything you have from your bear hands to a 50cal. I used my Sig 228 in 9mm, I figured that if it may be called on to kill a person then it should be able to take down a 300lbs pig. One shot kill, I love it. Jay's place is clean, neat and they make you feel like family. Happy Hunting, Chris.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom