• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mocoloco

MDS Supporter
    Feb 11, 2024
    Montgomery County, MD
    I bought a pair recently, tried them at the range twice, and am returning them today. Absolutely no sound dampening to them. If anything, they amplify gunshots. Might be a one-off, but I won't buy another pair to find out. Guy at my range says others have had the same issue with this brand.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I bought a pair recently, tried them at the range twice, and am returning them today. Absolutely no sound dampening to them. If anything, they amplify gunshots. Might be a one-off, but I won't buy another pair to find out. Guy at my range says others have had the same issue with this brand.

****Are you sure they are sealing against your head properly? They look like Howard Leight knockoffs - which I have several pairs of for our teaching classes. If you have thick arm safety glasses they can sometimes be so thick they prevent a proper seal of the muffs against your head.

Screenshot 2024-02-13 093803.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-13 093853.png

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD

When the hearing enhancement is turned on, the Trakr muffs compress sound above 85db. That is different than electronic muffs that completely block sound when it exceeds 85 db. With compression you will still get 85db passing through.

If you turn off hearing enhancement, the Trakr muffs will block completely, to their full NR rating.

I use the Axil GS Extremes and turn off the hearing enhancement while I’m actively shooting and turn it on when I’m talking to someone.

As a note, it is best to leave hearing enhancement turned off in indoor range, as the echos can border the 85db level and you would be constantly receiving 85db sound.

For those who are used to open-close electronic muffs, sound compression muffs may seem like they aren’t working correctly, but they are.

Also keep in mind that hearing enhancement is just that. It will amplify lower levels to allow you to hear better with muffs on, hence the name, hearing enhancement.

mocoloco

MDS Supporter
    Feb 11, 2024
    Montgomery County, MD
    ****Are you sure they are sealing against your head properly? They look like Howard Leight knockoffs - which I have several pairs of for our teaching classes. If you have thick arm safety glasses they can sometimes be so thick they prevent a proper seal of the muffs against your head.

View attachment 454369 View attachment 454370
    I thought that might be an issue and tried them without eye pro. No better. But thanks for the thought.

mocoloco

MDS Supporter
    Feb 11, 2024
    Montgomery County, MD
    When the hearing enhancement is turned on, the Trakr muffs compress sound above 85db. That is different than electronic muffs that completely block sound when it exceeds 85 db. With compression you will still get 85db passing through.

If you turn off hearing enhancement, the Trakr muffs will block completely, to their full NR rating.

I use the Axil GS Extremes and turn off the hearing enhancement while I’m actively shooting and turn it on when I’m talking to someone.

As a note, it is best to leave hearing enhancement turned off in indoor range, as the echos can border the 85db level and you would be constantly receiving 85db sound.

For those who are used to open-close electronic muffs, sound compression muffs may seem like they aren’t working correctly, but they are.

Also keep in mind that hearing enhancement is just that. It will amplify lower levels to allow you to hear better with muffs on, hence the name, hearing enhancement.
    This is a great explanation, I'll keep it in mind for other muffs. I tried these with the enhancement off and still heard too much.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    This is a great explanation, I'll keep it in mind for other muffs. I tried these with the enhancement off and still heard too much.

I did notice in the specs for the Trakr muffs that they are only rated at 25 NR.

An NRR of 29 or greater is preferred for shooting.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    My family has multiple pairs of the ~$40 Howard Leight electronic muffs.
    When at the range or hunting, I turn them up to act as "Hearing aids". They completely "Clip" any sound over a certain threshold. They work great.

Remember, as long as they are sealing and blocking exterior noise, the ONLY thing you are hearing is what the little speaker is broadcasting in each ear.

mocoloco

MDS Supporter
    Feb 11, 2024
    Montgomery County, MD
    My family has multiple pairs of the ~$40 Howard Leight electronic muffs.
    When at the range or hunting, I turn them up to act as "Hearing aids". They completely "Clip" any sound over a certain threshold. They work great.

Remember, as long as they are sealing and blocking exterior noise, the ONLY thing you are hearing is what the little speaker is broadcasting in each ear.
    I have some cheap no-names that have ways worked fine, I just thought I was upgrading. Not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom