Anyone here have a small towable utility trailer, the kind they sell at the big box stores?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    Thank you for the info.! I'll be needing something for this Summer and only recently started researching the subject. I had thought about buying an old truck but if a small trailer can handle the job, I much rather spend the money on an old Corvette or Miata after the remodel is completed.
    Ahhh the Miata. It failed due to being thought of as a chick’s car but it was actually a nice little car.

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    Thank you Sir! I had seen a vid where someone recommended better wire looms that would withstand the UV rays, but your suggestions are even better! One complaint I saw on vids on the folding HFT trailer was finding a way to make the license plate swing so that I doesn't get bent if/when you fold your trailer. I'd never heard of the Bonide pepper spray but just found it at Amazon and will see if it's safe for me to spray on any exposed wiring inside my house.
    Yeah, It is. You can spray it on vegetables. Bonide is a gardening brand. I buy extruded plastic loom of different sizes for harnesses in 20-50ft rolls from Amazon. If you are not talented in soldering and heat shrinking, you can electrical tape over the splicers and the use SunBrite liquid electrical tape to coat over the electrical tape to keep it from unraveling. The stuff is awesome and it will give you a great water tight barrier.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    I also have a tractor Supply trailer with wood floors and the ramp tailgate. About $1k I recall and they give you the stuff to take to MVA. Get appt at MVA
    I had a spare trailer plate on it to take it home.
    A trailer sales place may be able to tag it for you but may cost you more.
    Boards are nailed in and not bolted so I plan to make some changes to it soon but the bikes are strapped to the side so they are not going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

I also have a tractor Supply trailer with wood floors and the ramp tailgate. About $1k I recall and they give you the stuff to take to MVA. Get appt at MVA
    I had a spare trailer plate on it to take it home.
    A trailer sales place may be able to tag it for you but may cost you more.
    Boards are nailed in and not bolted so I plan to make some changes to it soon but the bikes are strapped to the side so they are not going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Melnic was kind enough to lend me his trailer for a motorcycle purchase just the other day--It towed great behind my old Ford Escape--4 cyl FWD--thru all kinds of holiday traffic down to Va and back--as utility trailers go it is very nicely made and would be perfect for what you are doing

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    I was thinking of the first gen.
    Without wandering too much off the topic of utility trailers, and generally speaking of course, I believe the Mazda Miata to be one of those rare cars that aren't expensive (especially when bought used), are more reliable than the great majority of vehicles in the US (and any US-made vehicle perhaps with exception of the old 5.0 and 4.6L Fords), has a good power to weight ratio (with the exception of the Gen 3s, IIRC), has excellent steering and handling, and is just fun to drive. This is true for most of the lighter-weight generations, 1,2,4, and with a standard (read manual) transmission. If you load them up with accessories and opt for the automatic transmission, it's probably not going to be as fun an experience. It's a 4 cylinder, so it should be cheaper to insure than a larger-engine 2-door coupe, lots of room in the engine bay, making it easy to work on, and has excellent aftermarket support for those looking to make it go faster. It's not very good on gas, and I guess it falls into that category of car that is "a slow car that is fun to drive fast." I think that back in the day it was said to have been designed for women and queers; and even if the saying is true, I think Mazda way underestimated the demand for the little car back in '89. If you don't care about what others may say about you, don't mind a convertible, can fit inside it comfortably enough to drive, and you enjoy driving stick-shift, I'm pretty sure you'd like it.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    Melnic was kind enough to lend me his trailer for a motorcycle purchase just the other day--It towed great behind my old Ford Escape--4 cyl FWD--thru all kinds of holiday traffic down to Va and back--as utility trailers go it is very nicely made and would be perfect for what you are doing
    That's good to hear; both the friendship and that it worked out! I hope you enjoy your new purchase!

Thanks for the feedback!

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    Without wandering too much off the topic of utility trailers, and generally speaking of course, I believe the Mazda Miata to be one of those rare cars that aren't expensive (especially when bought used), are more reliable than the great majority of vehicles in the US (and any US-made vehicle perhaps with exception of the old 5.0 and 4.6L Fords), has a good power to weight ratio (with the exception of the Gen 3s, IIRC), has excellent steering and handling, and is just fun to drive. This is true for most of the lighter-weight generations, 1,2,4, and with a standard (read manual) transmission. If you load them up with accessories and opt for the automatic transmission, it's probably not going to be as fun an experience. It's a 4 cylinder, so it should be cheaper to insure than a larger-engine 2-door coupe, lots of room in the engine bay, making it easy to work on, and has excellent aftermarket support for those looking to make it go faster. It's not very good on gas, and I guess it falls into that category of car that is "a slow car that is fun to drive fast." I think that back in the day it was said to have been designed for women and queers; and even if the saying is true, I think Mazda way underestimated the demand for the little car back in '89. If you don't care about what others may say about you, don't mind a convertible, can fit inside it comfortably enough to drive, and you enjoy driving stick-shift, I'm pretty sure you'd like it.
    Oh, I like them. A friend had one.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Failed? 35 years and counting is a failure?
    How would one define success or failure? For the record, I think it was and is a success. There’s plenty of retrospectives discussing this very topic. It’s considered a sales success including from the very start. Haters gonna hate I guess. Mazda has sold way more of them than they ever thought they would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom