• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Nothing gun related on schedule for today. Not yet announced if voting session for tommorow.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Come on down , any time . Visit your representive's office. Visit a committee member's office. If the member isn't available ( often not) speak to a staffer. If nothing else leave your name , and the issues you are concerned with. It helps if you can name a specific Bill or two , but if only "2nd Ammendment issues" , they'll get the hint. Sit in on a committee session. Stand in the hallway of the State House a start/ end of a general session.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    This was exact same Bill as HB214 , with different sponsers.

Castle Doctrnre , but with fine print issues.

I'd love to someday know the story behind all this.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    This was exact same Bill as HB214 , with different sponsers.

Castle Doctrnre , but with fine print issues.

I'd love to someday know the story behind all this.

Yeah, I'd like to see a side by side comparison of which one's voted for or against on 214 and 1185. Think anyone changed their vote?:innocent0

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    HB1185 - Criminal Law - Crimes Against Property - Right to Defend Property

Establishing that an occupant of a dwelling is justified in using any degree of physical force against another person when the other person has made an unlawful entry into the dwelling, and when the occupant has a reasonable belief that the other person has committed a crime in the dwelling in addition to the unlawful entry or is committing or intends to commit a crime against a person or property in addition to the unlawful entry; establishing that a person acting in accordance with the Act is immune from specified criminal prosecution.

HB286 - Criminal Law - Use of Handgun in Crime of Violence or Felony

Extending the statute of limitations for a violation of a specified provision of law prohibiting using a firearm in the commission of a crime of violence or felony; etc.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Yeah, I'd like to see a side by side comparison of which one's voted for or against on 214 and 1185. Think anyone changed their vote?:innocent0
    Once the vote sheets are up, I will try to get them posted here. Am heading out the door to church, so won't be able to check MGALEG for a few hours.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Saw that - was going to work on a spreadsheet to track that, but didn't want to do that while sitting in Sabbath School...

Wired up all the bills on the MDGA tracker. There is an option for spreadsheet output, but figured it was easier for folks to just scan a list than open a file.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013

HB 214 and HB 1185 were identical proposals, one sponsored by a D (Conaway), the other by a R (Parrott).

Here's the Committee votes for HB 214 (note the vote was for "favorable", so a yes was a vote for FAV): http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2014RS/votes_comm/hb0214_jud.pdf

Result 8-11, 2 absent (Rosenberg and Simmons): UNF

Here's the Committee votes for HB 1185 (note the vote was for "unfavorable", so a yes was a vote for UNF):
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2014RS/votes_comm/hb1185_jud.pdf

Result: 12-8; 1 absent (Arora out, Simmons voted this time Yes); UNF

Last edited:

andimorony

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    HB 214 and HB 1185 were identical proposals, one sponsored by a D (Conaway), the other by a R (Parrott).

Here's the Committee votes for HB 214 (note the vote was for "favorable", so a yay was a vote for FAV): http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2014RS/votes_comm/hb0214_jud.pdf

Result 8-11, 2 absent (Rosenberg and Simmons): UNF

Here's the Committee votes for HB 1185 (note the vote was for "unfavorable", so a yea was a vote for UNF):
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2014RS/votes_comm/hb1185_jud.pdf

Result: 12-8; 1 absent (Arora out, Simmons voted this time Yay): UNF

SNI....might I make a suggestion? Start using the phrase "the correct vote was___" it clarifies what the vote SHOULD be without confusing new/not-so-newbies ...

So for HB 1185 the correct vote was "nay". When I first started this, that helped me a lot.

But maybe its just me that struggled with it. :party29::party29:

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Yes'm.

The "correct" vote all depends on how the legislator intended to vote on the motion. If the motion was for an unfavorable report, and the legislator was in favor of the bill - they would be opposed to an unfavorable report and thus vote nay to the motion. If the motion was for a favorable report and the legislator was in favor of the bill, they would vote yea.

Nonetheless, both 214 and 1185 ultimately were reported unfavorable with interesting vote tallies.

Hope that clears things up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom