Air Guns Illegal in HOCO? BB, Pellet, etc.?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fredthe

MDS Supporter
    Oct 18, 2023
    Bowie, MD
    Montgomery county treats shooting airguns the same as all firearms. There also is a squirrel season in MD and hunting out of season has serious penalties.
    Dam, as a kid in Bethesda I used to harass the squirrels with my Daisy BB gun. Got pretty good at hitting them 50 feet up the tree, but all it did was drive them to the neighbor's yard (which was the point).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Section B would seem to allow what OP wants, as long as he is shooting the squirrels on the ground and not in the trees where it might travel further.

Squirrel is a Game Animal, not a Varmint. All Hunting rules and seasons would need to be followed .

2500yards

Oct 12, 2009
    OK, the reason I ask any of this: the squirrels are making nests under my deck and ravage my bird feeders. A pellet gun would do the trick. Could I re-new my MD hunting license and be covered? Or, is this just opening up a can of worms? I am pretty sure there is an acreage restriction in HOCO for hunting.
    You’re worried about shooting a BB gun? Seriously? Nobody will hear you shoot that thing.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Horse Shit Rule!
    Funny you say that, because you wouldn't believe how much pull the horse community in HoCo has with stuff just like this. (Hey TROT...F U!)
    But a call to the local Sheriff/PD would be a step in the right direction to make sure you don't get tangled up in some horse hockey local law.
    And get yourself on their radar? No way in hell.
    Came back and gave me the ticket
    Because HoCo popo has nothing better to do than harass tax paying citizens. I really think they get off on such things. I am NOT a fan.

Last edited:

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    OK, the reason I ask any of this: the squirrels are making nests under my deck and ravage my bird feeders. A pellet gun would do the trick. Could I re-new my MD hunting license and be covered? Or, is this just opening up a can of worms? I am pretty sure there is an acreage restriction in HOCO for hunting.
    SSS

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Funny you say that, because you wouldn't believe how much pull the horse community in HoCo has with stuff just like this. (Hey TROT...F U!)

And get yourself on their radar? No way in hell.

Because HoCo popo has nothing better to do than harass tax paying citizens. I really think they get off on such things. I am NOT a fan.

I have yet to meet a cop that has any idea about any gun laws. The one time I asked general AR-15 questions I was given nothing but wrong information. Doing your own research is really the only way to be sure. And I would trust information from this forum before anything a cop tells me.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    How is you backyard set up. If you are shooting at a squirrel or a bird, is the background your neighbors house? If not, why would you worry.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I had a few dozen squirrels destroying my apple trees a few years ago. I also cant shoot a BB or Pellet rifle legally in my yard. Plus the sound is like a 22 and will get the neighbors attention. So what I did is buy the Duke and Conibear body traps for like muskrats. They are like $8 each online. I set them along my fence and in the trees on small pieces of plywood. Add a slice of apple to the wire triggers. I cleaned up a mess of tree rats quick

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Yeah, 2009 really eff'd up living in HoCo. Not the pellet guns so much. You weren't getting busted for plinking. And seriously, I had to stop blasting the Beretta 92SB and Winchester 94 out back in the woods due to the Metropolitan area BS.

2500yards

Oct 12, 2009
    My air rifles are WAY louder than shooting CB caps (or CCI Quiet) through a 22. Might get away with a Red Ryder Lever.

Honestly, I wouldn’t worry about it. Just use common sense and don’t shoot it at your neighbor. It’s not like every kid doesn’t already do it anyway. You say loud, but no way it’s the kind of sound alarming people. I highly doubt BB guns were the intended target of these laws. Worst case play dumb. You didn’t need to get a background check up buy it. It’s a friggin BB gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom