• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    A few months ago, I posted about my Form 20 for a 9mm AR being disapproved. The reason that was given was "SBRs illegal in MD".

I resubmitted my form 20 with the MD code stating that it was not illegal and it was disapproved again stating that the length was illegal in MD (under 29"). Not only that, I also sent in another Form 20 for my PAP M92 SBR. It was also disapproved. The reason given was "AK Copy Cat illegal in MD". They even included a copy of the MD Code.

At this point, I'm giving up on bringing any of my NFA toys up to MD. I am planning on going camping/shooting on private property in May. It looks like I won't be able to bring any fun toys to the shoot. :mad54:

I just wanted to post this as an FYI for anyone curious about Form 20s for MD.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Is your 9mm AR under 29" overall length? If it is less than 29" long AND purchased after 10/1/13, it is indeed illegal to bring this firearm into MD. Even if was NOT an SBR, you would be in violation of state law bringing it in.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    But if you possessed any of these before 10-1-13 they are legal. I don't know what to tell you.

BATFE.

You can't fix stupid.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Thanks guys. It looks like even as a VA resident, I'm still affected by the Bullsh*t MD laws :sad20:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Maybe you could send the examiner a copy of the law that allows you to possess it if you owned it before 10-1-13.

But getting these bozos to understand what they are being paid to do may be an exercise in futility.

What a fuster cluck BATFE is. I guess they never figured out that having an attorney explain the MD law to them is a good idea.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Sarcasm {on}: Sounds like SB281 probably saved a lot of lives here - who knows how many innocent people you might have mowed down in Maryland if they hadn't dissaproved your application. I sleep better at night knowing that law abiding citizens that have jobs and go out of their way to try to learn and comply with the law (even possibly illegal laws), are sent pieces of paper in the mail telling them they can't bring several arbitrary firearms into Maryland, because they look scary to some ignorant political puppets. Because they assume, and so should we, that your purpose for all this correspondence is so you can use said firearms for some violent criminal enterprise - you, you, criminal mastermind! But O'Malley foiled you at the boarder- ha! Take that! Sarcasm {off}

In all seriousness, that sucks. This is one of many problems with SB281; we tried to stop it, but a handful of crooked and misguided politicians went against the will of the people to push this through. Now you know why we sometimes refer to this state as Marylanistan.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Invite your Md friends to camp and shoot in Va .

I would but this is a camping trip we take every year on a friend's private property in Garrett county.

Maybe you could send the examiner a copy of the law that allows you to possess it if you owned it before 10-1-13.

But getting these bozos to understand what they are being paid to do may be an exercise in futility.

What a fuster cluck BATFE is. I guess they never figured out that having an attorney explain the MD law to them is a good idea.

I couldn't agree more. I'm going to see if I can call the examiner directly. Other than that, it looks like the law worked as intended.:sad20:

Sarcasm {on}: Sounds like SB281 probably saved a lot of lives here - who knows how many innocent people you might have mowed down in Maryland if they hadn't dissaproved your application. I sleep better at night knowing that law abiding citizens that have jobs and go out of their way to try to learn and comply with the law (even possibly illegal laws), are sent pieces of paper in the mail telling them they can't bring several arbitrary firearms into Maryland, because they look scary to some ignorant political puppets. Because they assume, and so should we, that your purpose for all this correspondence is so you can use said firearms for some violent criminal enterprise - you, you, criminal mastermind! But O'Malley foiled you at the boarder- ha! Take that! Sarcasm {off}

In all seriousness, that sucks. This is one of many problems with SB281; we tried to stop it, but a handful of crooked and misguided politicians went against the will of the people to push this through. Now you know why we sometimes refer to this state as Marylanistan.

:lol2: It's for the children. Who knows what my scary SBRs would do once they cross the border. We all know they have a mind of their own.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You should point out to the examiner that prior to 10-1-13, a "copycat" firearm didn't even exist. Therefore the <29" prohibition does not apply. But iANAL

But I'm also being logical. sorry.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    You should point out to the examiner that prior to 10-1-13, a "copycat" firearm didn't even exist. Therefore the <29" prohibition does not apply. But iANAL

But I'm also being logical. sorry.

Unfortunately, my M92 is post 10/1/13. Thanks for providing the documentation for me to resubmit. It was worth a shot.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    But according to MSP logic, it's also a copycat and therefore copycat provisions also apply.

<29"=no go

very logical. thanks MSP

embermage

Sep 20, 2013
    Rising Sun
    Is your 9mm AR under 29" overall length? If it is less than 29" long AND purchased after 10/1/13, it is indeed illegal to bring this firearm into MD. Even if was NOT an SBR, you would be in violation of state law bringing it in.

Thought the pistol caliber ARs were immune to this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom