• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    OK you BP geeks, here's the question. I have a nice Uberti Walker cannon. I shoot .453 round balls backed up with 60 gr of BP or equivelent with no problems. Now that I have all these .429 JHP 240 gr and .430 semi wad cutters could I SAFELY shoot these things with less powder charge? They're smaller diameter but much heavier. Think I should leave well enough alone while I still have two hands and eyes or shoot some of this stuff? Both would be much more effective for deer without doubt.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Safelhy shoot them? Yes and no I would think. If you loaded just one cylinder and shot it, then it would work, but be innacurate.
    If you loaded more than one cylinder, then I would be afraid of a chain fire occuring. Your diameters are waaaayyy to small to make a seal in the chamber.
    I would say it was a waste of time on deer because they may be too small to even contact the rifling properly. Try dropping a bullet down the barrel, I bet that if it does not fall all the way through, it would still not fill the grooves of the rifling if fired.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Novus, I think you're onto something there. They swim in the barrel, hmmmm when .44 ain't really .44. Maybe use a cloth patch, something to play with. I need to buy a chronograph.
    Oh yeah, the reason I bought all these 44's was because last week I bought a Redhawk at Gander Mtn. :) Doing the paperwork shuffle as we speak. What a PAIN in the arse. :rolleyes:

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    For deer you have to use at least 60 grains of BP or equivalent.

I believe it is 40 grains and above, not 60.

Black Bart, from what I hear it is a bad idea to consistently shoot the full 60 grains in your Walker. I wears it out quick doing so I remember hearing.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I believe it is 40 grains and above, not 60.

Black Bart, from what I hear it is a bad idea to consistently shoot the full 60 grains in your Walker. I wears it out quick doing so I remember hearing.

40 is correct, actually I don't use BP, I'll do a diet of 50-55 gr of 777 which is close and much cleaner. That thing looks like it was built by Grumman Iron Works, not sure if it could be shot loose.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    OK you BP geeks, here's the question. I have a nice Uberti Walker cannon. I shoot .453 round balls backed up with 60 gr of BP or equivelent with no problems. Now that I have all these .429 JHP 240 gr and .430 semi wad cutters could I SAFELY shoot these things with less powder charge? They're smaller diameter but much heavier. Think I should leave well enough alone while I still have two hands and eyes or shoot some of this stuff? Both would be much more effective for deer without doubt.
    .453 lead is as small as it gets, and still be safe. .457 lead RB, if you must, (tough loading.) :tap:

Caps on ALL charged cylenders, always! :smack:

Follow the directions that came with the Walker! :banghead:

Are you planing to be shooting on the 15th? If so, I may stay home! :mad54: :sad20:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Sorry, you're right, I was thinking about muzzleloaders not bp handguns.

#

Muzzleloaders used for deer hunting must be at least .40 caliber in size and use not less than 60 grains of black powder (or a black powder equivalent) and propel one all-lead, lead alloy or copper soft-nosed or expanding bullet or ball at a single discharge. Sabot loads are legal.
    #

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/weapon.asp

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    .453 lead is as small as it gets, and still be safe. .457 lead RB, if you must, (tough loading.) :tap:

Caps on ALL charged cylenders, always! :smack:

Follow the directions that came with the Walker! :banghead:

Are you planing to be shooting on the 15th? If so, I may stay home! :mad54: :sad20:

Directions???? Do they come with pictures? :D

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Sorry, you're right, I was thinking about muzzleloaders not bp handguns.
    http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/weapon.asp
    Muzzleloader (rifle) used for deer hunting: 2006_2007_guid.pdf / Page 15.

Muzzleloaders (rifles)used for deer hunting must be at least .40 caliber in size and use not less than 60 grains of black powder (or a black powder equivalent) and propel one all-lead, lead alloy or copper soft-nosed or expanding bullet or ball at a single discharge. Sabot loads are legal.

If hunting other game, the Muzzleloader may be any caliber, and charged appropriately, for the game being hunted.

When hunting with Muzzleloading handguns used for deer hunting must be at least .40 caliber in size with a barrel length of at least 6 inches and use not less than 40 grains of black powder (or a black powder equivalent) and propel one all-lead, lead alloy or copper soft-nosed or expanding bullet or ball at a single discharge.

If hunting other game, the Muzzleloader Handgun may be any caliber, and charged appropriately, for the game being hunted.

I have (3) Muzzleloader handguns. Two of witch I hunt deer with. (successfully!):rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom