• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    true, but i've also seen plenty hit with far too much gun and as a result, half the meat wasn't usable.

wanton waste is illegal in many areas.

I've killed deer with many different cartridges. Shotgun slugs do the most damage and are required in most counties in Md.

When hunting smaller patches of land like most places in Md I like to use something that is more likely to put the animal down at the place it was shot so it doesn't run onto someone else's property that I would have to trespass to retrieve. When it comes to rifles there aren't many substitutes for FPS and a well placed proper bullet.

bulletdrop

Jul 23, 2011
    Southern Maryland
    Hopefully if he is talking long range he is talking out of state hunting. The dear here are about the size of my bird dog. But Pa and the mid west deer 300 would be fine. Also 190 gr is the proven accuracy performer. I have a 300 remy that I have had for yrs. Hunted in NV/CO/KS. Works good. ammo is high priced for the good stuff though. I buy all my ammo at sniper central.com HSM. And they are currently building me a custom 300 off of my receiver.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Eastern shore does have rifle in southern Cecil. My biggest buck was 205lbs dressed from over here. In order to reduce ammo costs etc. I switched to a 308 not too long after the picture above. My son and I both have 308 rifles now. Savage 10FCP and Howa Lightening.

Mtwoodson

May 7, 2011
    Western Eastern Shore
    If you load your own, the 300WM is awesome. Load it hot or load it mild, as appropriate. 110-125 grain for varmints, 150-165's for most deer, and 180-210 for serious business. I've shot 9 elk with an old Model 70 Sporter. From 300 yards to way too far to be believable. But all that said, a good 30-06 will do all of that except the long range heavies. It will hold its own with the 300 WM out to 400 yards+/-.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    If you load your own, the 300WM is awesome. Load it hot or load it mild, as appropriate. 110-125 grain for varmints, 150-165's for most deer, and 180-210 for serious business. I've shot 9 elk with an old Model 70 Sporter. From 300 yards to way too far to be believable. But all that said, a good 30-06 will do all of that except the long range heavies. It will hold its own with the 300 WM out to 400 yards+/-.

This. It is possible to load 300WM rounds to be the equivalent of 308 reduced recoil loads for young hunters.:party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom