• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeye505

Nov 5, 2013
    Essex Md
    New to the hobby. I just got a savage .243. Anyone have suggestions on ammo. Grain Brand etc. I will be hunting deer. Smaller deer since they will be in the mountains of WV.

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    I use 95 gr. Hornaday sst's on top of varget powder. Buy a couple of different brands with quality bullets in 80 to 100 gr. weight range and see what shoots best in your rifle.

willy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 13, 2013
    Carroll County
    100 gr power points on deer-yup. 243 is the only gun I hunt with nowadays. Then I use hornady's 58gr VMAX superperformance for anything smaller. Savage 111 is the most accurate gun I own. Freaking tack driver.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I killed my first deer with a .243 with good ol remington core lokts. You can get them for around 50 cents a round on sale at Dicks. I use a .270 now but still shoot core lokts and have never had a problem with deer running far.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I love a 243 just so you know that little 6mm kills very good. My wife took a beautful Black wilderbeast and a silver metal blesbuck in south africa with federal 100gr 243.

redeye505

Nov 5, 2013
    Essex Md
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I think i will buy a few different boxes and try them out to see what shoots best. That will always give me a reason to go to the range. Wow that is impressive Browning Guy a wilderbeast. Now that sounds like a good trip. At least now i feel i bought the right gun as well. I had some people trying to talk me into a 30-06. Where i will be hunting probably wont be over 150 yards. I thought the 30-06 was overkill. Thank you again

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    You might want to check the twist rate in your rifle. A lot of 243s are 1:10 which is great for weights under 90 grains. My Model 70 is a one-hole wonder with 87s at 100 yards. Using 100gr bullets, I'm lucky to get 4 MOA.

Don't sweat not being able to use a heavy bullet, if your rifle doesn't like them. A 70 Nosler ballistic tip and a number of other choices in under 90gr selection are devastating on medium-sized game -- especially hits in a vital area.

redeye505

Nov 5, 2013
    Essex Md
    You might want to check the twist rate in your rifle. A lot of 243s are 1:10 which is great for weights under 90 grains. My Model 70 is a one-hole wonder with 87s at 100 yards. Using 100gr bullets, I'm lucky to get 4 MOA.

Don't sweat not being able to use a heavy bullet, if your rifle doesn't like them. A 70 Nosler ballistic tip and a number of other choices in under 90gr selection are devastating on medium-sized game -- especially hits in a vital area.

That is some good info. I will have to take a look at that. I wil try and buy some low grain as well to see the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom