• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    You guys have any suggestions? I'm in Damascus (upper Montgomery County) and looking for a place to do some squirrel hunting with a 22. I don't have friends in high places so I need work with public land.

Where can I go to have a fair chance getting squirrels?

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I would think any public hunting lands nearby would be fine for squirrels. Just check the Maryland DNR Website for locations. I have been hunting in greenridge state forest for 30 years, great for squirrels among other things. BTW I am about an hour further from GRSF than you so sometimes hunting is about getting out of town also, Md. has lot's of public lands with good hunting. Good Luck!

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Check out the Frederick Watershed or some of the public lands listed in the DNR Hunting Regs. Make sure to wear orange, and plan on some company unless you go during the week.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    If you're going to go squirrel hunting in Green Ridge State Forest --- good luck --- because alot of the public hunting land in GRSF is shot out for squirrels. Even the chipmunks...are a rare sight these days in GRSF --- same goes for deer.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    If you're going to go squirrel hunting in Green Ridge State Forest --- good luck --- because alot of the public hunting land in GRSF is shot out for squirrels. Even the chipmunks...are a rare sight these days in GRSF --- same goes for deer.

Really? I have been hunting it for years, and if anything there is less hunting pressure and more game. Maybe you aren't looking in the right places. Granted you would be hard pressed to find Big Trophy Deer and the squirrels aren't as used to humans as inside the beltway but the game is there.
    Maybe I shouldn't be saying this though, second thought you are right the forest is DEAD at Green-ridge...don't go there.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America

Could that be partially related to the mast/nut crop? We had a couple of bad nut years, but this year seems to be a bumper crop for nuts. I haven't been up to GRSF this year, but in Frederick county the nuts are big and plentiful.

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    Really? I have been hunting it for years, and if anything there is less hunting pressure and more game. Maybe you aren't looking in the right places. Granted you would be hard pressed to find Big Trophy Deer and the squirrels aren't as used to humans as inside the beltway but the game is there.
    Maybe I shouldn't be saying this though, second thought you are right the forest is DEAD at Green-ridge...don't go there.

:lol::tinfoil::shocked3::secret:

Fishguy, Find a WMA with woods and generally you'll find squirrels. Not sure I'd advocate using a rifle in MontCo. (Seneca Ck, McKee-Breeshers) but FredCo. and west should be fine. I will not name specific areas other than the above since they are your home turf. Get out and hunt! Have a good time and enjoy the season and weather! Discover your own little secret spot. That's half the fun.;)
    Just be aware that there are bow hunters hanging in the trees. Sure you have as much right to be in the woods and hunting YOUR choice of game as they do but you also have the obligation to be sure of a safe shot.;)

Now just go! Time's wasting and in a little more than a week the woods will be FULL of deer hunters. BTW - I like squirrel hunting to. I use a .17-M2. :D

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Could that be partially related to the mast/nut crop? We had a couple of bad nut years, but this year seems to be a bumper crop for nuts. I haven't been up to GRSF this year, but in Frederick county the nuts are big and plentiful.

Besides our own hunting party...I think the lack of huntable squirrel populations, in GRSF, is due to: the month {September} early opening of the Maryland squirrel season --- instead of October. The massive influx of Pennslyvania non-resident hunters in GRSF --- who outnumber Maryland hunters, especially during deer season. Things may have changed in GRSF, cuz we have not deer hunted GRSF in the past two years, due to the cervid CWD problem.
    The lack of huntable deer populations in GRSF, is probably due to the early muzzleloader season in Maryland, that stymies the growth of the deer herd, because of the lack of procreation, due to a deer firearms season, before the deer rut goes into full-swing. The lack of antler restrictions, due to opposition by farmers; is also a cause.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Remember... when the Maryland DNR first proposed the early muzzleloader season --- for private land only? GRSF...including other public hunting land in Maryland --- will suffer from this stupid conservation mistake --- made by the Maryland DNR, that is infiltrated by gun and sport shop affiliates; including the automobile insurance industry.

0nesh0t

Feb 20, 2011
    Anne Arundel
    Was in GRSF last weekend. It was teaming with wildlife. I hiked in early sat. morning with the ol single shot 20ga. Set up camp and hunted all day Saturday. Great day to spend walking the woods. Found a nice stand of tall mature pines with some leaners. Took a couple shots, bagged one. But most of the squirrels that I saw were long shots away, but they were out there. I heard shots in the distance (muzzle-loader for deer?), but had the woods to myself. Very nice to get away from the city for a weekend. Hiked out Sun morning back to the car.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Cunningham Falls State Park outside of Thurmont use to have tons of the little buggers, especially when I was deer hunting there.:D If you plan on hunting them go now before the Orange army moves in on the woods next Saturday.

GRAY GHOST

The 43rd
    Jul 24, 2012
    C.S.A.
    also remember that GRSF are not squirrelz in the hood. just because you dont see them,dont mean shit. they see you a mile away.and will hug the backside of the tree till you leave. i love hunting the fox rats on the hill. thats one pretty rodent.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    also remember that GRSF are not squirrelz in the hood. just because you dont see them,dont mean shit. they see you a mile away.and will hug the backside of the tree till you leave. i love hunting the fox rats on the hill. thats one pretty rodent.

Shh...Don't tell them about fox squirrels, they don't need to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom