• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I'm posting this on behalf of drwalther, one of our EMs. He has recently agreed to lend a hand to our membership committee:
    -------------------------

I wanted to take a moment to address an administrative item regarding MSI Executive Membership. There are a large number of folks who have applied and sent money to become Executive Members of Maryland Shall Issue®. We are thrilled and excited at the ongoing changes we are seeing in the State of Maryland, and the interest that is being generated in the 2A community! We would not be where we are without such a dedicated membership and leadership!

I need to ask for your understanding, if you are one of those who are waiting, after sending in the appropriate donation amounts, and just haven't heard anything. As you all know, and have heard many times, we are a grassroots organization. This means that we are volunteers. Many of us in the leadership have full-time plus jobs and families, so, like you, we are busy, and dedicate what minutes we can scrape up here and there to fighting for our Rights.

I have recently assumed additional responsibilities with the Membership Committee to facilitate the process. We do share your frustrations, as we've all had to wait, and wait, and wait through the Woollard suit, the endless appeals, the stays, and the rulings, and know that it is additionally frustrating if you feel that you are getting the same thing from MSI. Please know it is completely unintentional. We are simply overworked and short staffed, and have the wonderful problem of having grown very quickly recently, and are currently in the process of re-grouping to more effectively and efficiently keep MSI on top of the pressing 2A issues in the State, most especially the needs of our membership, and the Executive Membership requests. Rest assured, we ARE working to vet all of those applications as quickly as possible.

I regret that it is a necessity, but as you know 2A can be a contentious issue, especially in Maryland. Unfortunately, we have had problems both on these forums and in MSI with individuals who have demonstrated malicious intent in the past, and wish to avoid such problems in the future. We are an organization that wishes to welcome all interested parties to join and participate. We have nothing to hide, but we do feel the need to exercise caution at the Executive Membership level because all of the behind-the-scenes discussions regarding the function of our organization and our strategic direction takes place there. We welcome any who wish to increase their contribution to MSI by becoming an Executive Member to apply!

If you are one of those people who feels (s)he has waited an inordinate amount of time and are concerned that your application has been misplaced, or neglected, please send me a Private Message and I will do everything I can to respond appropriately. I don't think I could wrap this up without a little plug as well: We also welcome volunteers who wish to lend a hand with the growing work load!! We are grateful for all you do both in the community, and more importantly, outside of the 2A community!

Last edited:

methlab

Mar 18, 2011
    Northern Harford County
    We also welcome volunteers who wish to lend a hand with the growing work load!! We are grateful for all you do both in the community, and more importantly, outside of the 2A community!

Can you post some of the activities that you need help in? I'm sure many would lend a hand if they knew there was some way of helping in the middle of the busy schedules.

Thanks for all MSI has done so far. :thumbsup:

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Can you post some of the activities that you need help in? I'm sure many would lend a hand if they knew there was some way of helping in the middle of the busy schedules.

Thanks for all MSI has done so far. :thumbsup:

This is going to be a topic at the meeting on September 8.

drwalther

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Berlin
    I will be getting your screen names out of this thread, and keeping track, so when we have our sea legs on moving forward with new directions, we'll get in touch. Thanks for being willing to step up!

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Vetting takes time, especially for those who have little or no previous contact with MSI or other grassroots groups.

As for activities where people can help...we will have smaller 1-2 days tasks like helping out at a fair, convention or show. Then there are the longer-lead items that call for many days of work and non-trivial commitment. We are lucky to have a dedicated team that is larger than many other state groups (usually 1-2 people doing all the work in other states), but frankly we are still in need of more.

Specifically, we need the equivalent of PMs who can take a project from cradle to grave. Two key positions right now involve event planning and print media work. We have done some of the groundwork on these, have the skeleton and in some cases a bit more. But we need someone not distracted by other MSI stuff to drive them home.

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    Any traction on this? The annual meeting is coming up and I submitted for Executive membership a little while ago.

drwalther

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Berlin
    and I think we may be just about up to speed. There are only maybe a couple of outliers, but I'm now getting them as they come in, even one today!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom