• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • takoma

Roving Bandito
    Apr 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    I started up a Hunting group for folks in the area that have no gun or hunting experience. We seem to introduce youth pretty well but if you're an adult and you want to get into it there aren't too many easy options.

At the first meeting this week I got 10 folks -- all are interested in hunting. Various levels of gun experience. They're all potentially great 2nd Amendment converts -- all likely would buy firearms and gear and consider joining the NRA.

It'd be a great opportunity for gun owners / enthusiasts to connect with area "newbies" that are seeing the light re: gun ownership, gun control, importance of responsibility/safety, hunting. We always complain about people not "getting it" -- here's a chance to convince and educate some.

I'm thinking somebody more experienced than me can do a quick safety orientation up at the archery range area (or parking lot) at Myrtle Grove on a Sunday afternoon. Tentatively thinking August 19th. Then, split up the newbies who want to shoot crossbow, shotgun, rifle, handgun (or whatever we decide). No more than 3 people (excl. "guide") at any one place at any time. Rotate folks around for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Finish up in the parking lot. Get them all registered on MDShooters.org. Give them some tips for what to do next.

Anyone with me?

If not, I'll probably hire an instructor and ask these newbies to pay a modest fee to participate. I don't want to make any money off this, but I do what them exposed to quality instruction.

Message me -- or reply -- if you're interested.

Thanks,
    -Sean

MDshooters

Mar 26, 2012
    Salisbury MD
    Interested in Instructing and Volunteering

Greetings:

Sorry for the late reply. I am interested in instructing if the event is still on.

I am an experienced firearms enthusiast and competitive shooter. I have shot IDPA and am OC about safety and proper firearm handling. I also come from a family with a long list of military history, and am experienced with a wide variety of firearm action types, ammo, optics, and accessories.

I am an NRA life member (not yet an NRA instructor but looking into it). I have been instructing friends, family, and fellow shooters for years, and am conformable in front of a crowd. :)

I have been assistant range officer at family fun shoots, and have actually had days where I have not done any shooting myself and simply presided as a safety officer (safety first) :)

I would be more conformable if we could get a few other experienced shooters out there in case I could not make it for some reason.

Anyway, is this in Easton, MD? It looks like it is. (I live in Salsibury MD, and am hoping this event is somewhere close.)

I will try to check the thread often, as to stay in contact with you, as well as to stay abreast of any further development in the event's planning.

God Bless,

Safe Shooting
    SemperFI

Last edited:

MDshooters

Mar 26, 2012
    Salisbury MD
    80% is great. Just wait till we have a date. Right now it is August 19, but may change as things progress. Just keep tabs on takoma's posts. :)

takoma

Roving Bandito
    Apr 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Hey fellas, Mr. Dukes of 2A Protection Services is going to do the safety instruction at 11am until 1pm either at the parking lot or at the shotgun area (depending on what's available). The live-fire piece is going to start after that, at the range, and run until 4pm or so.

Since it's a public range there's no guarantee how many lanes will be available for us to use for rifle/pistol. However, I do want to expose folks to pistol/rifle at the range, shotgun (skeet), and bow/crossbow. We have a number of firearms and archery items already lined up, but more's the merrier. We're thinking three stations running simultaneously where folks cycle through.

I'm asking attendees to pay $10 for ammo. We can figure out who (instructors) needs how much ($$$) to help defray their costs.

Mr. Dukes and I are meeting at 10:30am at the parking lot at the MGWMA shooting range parking lot to get ready.

What do you think?

-Sean

MDshooters

Mar 26, 2012
    Salisbury MD
    I will most likely make it if it is still August 19th. I will come for free. I may bring some 22lr or 9mm to help out as I may need to demonstrate a technique or two.

You should post the address of MGWMA, just to be clear.

MDshooters

Mar 26, 2012
    Salisbury MD
    OK. Wow. If this is near La Plata, MD, then I will probably now be able to make it. For some reason I though that Myrtle Grove was somewhere on north 13.

But still post the address just in case I am wrong... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom