• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Yes, you read that right.

The Chief of the Maryland State Police Handgun Licensing Division and I have been in regular communication during the period of the post-Woollard stay. The MSI Board has been working this in the background as well. Sorry we could not talk about it until now.

Our collective goal was to open lines of communication that can be used to remedy issues, answer questions and better streamline the issuance of permits. This was all predicated on the stay being lifted. MSP has been professional and courteous. They have avoided the political and legal arguments, and have been focused on making the system work for all. As a law-enforcement organization it is not their job to play cheerleader. They are working to fulfill the law.

This message contains some useful information for you, direct from MSI and MSP. Please read it carefully.

- MSP has completed several hundred (365, actually) non-G&S application investigations. These are effectively "done" and ready for permit issuance in 14 days. Each must have on final background check done, just to be sure you did not kill someone since they last looked at you.

- To be clear, MSP says that absent an order from another court to stay their actions, they will issue those permits in accordance with the law, "immediately." They have no intent on sitting on these any longer. They cannot issue anything before the 14-day window expires (that would violate the law). So sit tight and hope we don't get another delay.

- Do not request a hearing unless your permit has been denied. MSP cannot process apps in the 90-day window right now, and if you ask or a hearing based on that fact, your application will be even further delayed. Every hearing requires significant work on the part of MSP, and the same people processing apps are the same people preparing the hearing.

- Pre-stay applications that were not returned are either done or in process. If your application was not returned, it is in work. I do not have a list of those who are complete. This is not only a violation of privacy-protected information, but it would cause my email to explode with status requests. Not gonna happen. :)

- Likewise, the MSP cannot take people at the door and hand these out in 30 minutes or less. Calling every 10 minutes will slow things down. MSI will not broker requests for routine status. We will watch the process, for sure.

- For the record, I am not in the initial pool of permits being issued.

For those who have not yet applied, or previously had their applications returned:

- MSP sent back a number of applications a few months back. They did this because after the stay was issued, they would have been required to deny them outright. So as a matter of service, they sent back the application and your check so that you were not burned out of $75. All those conspiracy theories (mine included) ignored the simple answer: they didn't feel right taking the money if they had no choice but to deny you. It was extra work on their part.

- MSP will accept non-G&S permits today. HOWEVER, if you apply in the next 13 days, you are taking some chance that you will lose your money if the 4th Circuit issues a stay. MSP is not going to hold or send back checks this time. That was a one-time deal. They are going to cash every single check the day it shows up. If you send a check today and the 4th issues a stay next week, your check is gone and your permit is denied. MSP/MSI advice is, "wait unless you don't mind losing the money."

- MSP asks that you leave the REASON line blank on your application, unless you have a G&S reason. If you do, please go the full G&S route.

As for futures:

- We are talking the details of a new streamlined application process. MSP is trying to bring on more people to process applications, and they are pushing hard to modernize their permit application and processing system. Of all the things that could be a problem, their laminating/card machine is old and failing. Go figure.

- Some of the G&S investigations may well be moot. This is a lot of work for them. We'll see where this goes.

- Training: another topic for another day, but there will be a push for it this coming session. MSI's official stance has always been to not require it, but the fact is we will have to work to make sure any standard is reasonable and attainable. I'd rather we be in the fold, than out of it.

Overall

On a personal note, we are moving forward. There is a chance that AG Gansler connects a "Hail Mary" pass in the next two weeks and we get another stay. I will leave such prognostications for others. But if a stay is handed down, we're back to waiting.

The good news is that MSP will issue permits in accordance with the law. They are interested in "professional, efficient service to all". Everything I have seen thus far suggests they mean it.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    Thanks for the info Patrick

How long would you wait before requesting a hearing (via MD State Law) for the 90 day period? I was in the batch that got their check cashed and was not returned, but I never got called for an interview. If you feel better about answering that in a PM please do :D

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative

How long would you wait before requesting a hearing (via MD State Law) for the 90 day period? I was in the batch that got their check cashed and was not returned, but I never got called for an interview. If you feel better about answering that in a PM please do :D

My guess would be to wait to see where we each may (or may not) fall in the final processing... and for further guidance from Sir Patrick and his Merry Men.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County

Excellent question, and I forgot to put that answer in the initial cut of the opening post.

The answer is: "Don't do it"

It'll just slow everything down. They are short-staffed and looking to hire in help, but the simple fact is a permit hearing takes a lot of time from the investigators that process the permits. It's a negative-reaction cycle for those who want things to go faster.

Everybody want to speed the process. Right now the applications take an average of 8 person-hours each. MSP is hoping to knock that down to 2 hours in the short term, and even lower in the long term. Some of this is technology, some of it is the law changing.

But for now, we got what we got and need to work to make it better. There is no magic wand.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    If MSP is listening to advice, I'd give them the following...

Accept out-of-state CCW permits held by MD residents - for the next year.

Ultimately, every MD resident exercising CCW must have a permit issued by the MSP. But the bow wave of applications will swamp them. Accept the out-of-state permits for one year - and tell anyone who has one to not apply for about six months. Let them work through the backlog. More, have a provision for anyone who has already applied but has an out-of-state CCW to elect to defer processing their application.

MSP is looking at a mountain of paperwork. With a little mutual cooperation, we can make this transition a whole lot easier.

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    - MSP will accept non-G&S permits today. HOWEVER, if you apply in the next 13 days, you are taking some chance that you will lose your money if the 4th Circuit issues a stay. MSP is not going to hold or send back checks this time. That was a one-time deal. They are going to cash every single check the day it shows up. If you send a check today and the 4th issues a stay next week, your check is gone and your permit is denied. MSP/MSI advice is, "wait unless you don't mind losing the money."

Does this hold for those of us that wait until after today's ruling to goes into effect (after 14 days) ?

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    If MSP is listening to advice, I'd give them the following...

Accept out-of-state CCW permits held by MD residents - for the next year.

MSP is looking at a mountain of paperwork. With a little mutual cooperation, we can make this transition a whole lot easier.

This is what I have thought all along would be a good interim step. As it is now, it sounds like we may be a little ahead of that point at the moment.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom