• ...and so much more!
  • Rainmaker

Jan 9, 2012
    Hagerstown, MD

tomgreco

Ammo addict
    Sep 17, 2009
    Indian Head, MD
    Hey guys if you havent seen this youre missing out. 70 year old man thwarts Internet Cafe Robbery http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#/video/crime/2012/07/17/dnt-internet-cafe-robbery-foiled.wkmg

Also check out the latest GAO gun control report submitted to Congress youll be surprised. Someone might want to bring it to the attention of Gura and company.

States' Laws and Requirements for Concealed Carry Permits Vary across the Nation
    http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-12-717

Good GAO info!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    MD: population ~4,200,000; permits ~12,000
    MASS: Pop ~4,900,000; permits ~251,000
    NJ: Pop ~6,500,000; permits ~32,000

Only California makes us look good, with nearly 29,000,000 people and 35,000 permits. And Hawaii, of course, with zero permits. Just another day in Paradise, even more hypocritical than Illinois.

Baumer

Jan 21, 2010
    In the GAO report I found it interesting that in 2011 MD revoked 270 permits while issuing 1700. That's about 16%. It looks like no other state including the shall issue states was over 2.5%. It begs the question, with G&S, references, interviews, etc.. that MD forces citizens to go through, how do they get it wrong so often that the rate is this high?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    In the GAO report I found it interesting that in 2011 MD revoked 270 permits while issuing 1700. That's about 16%. It looks like no other state including the shall issue states was over 2.5%. It begs the question, with G&S, references, interviews, etc.. that MD forces citizens to go through, how do they get it wrong so often that the rate is this high?

It would scary, if LEOs were the main percentage of permit holders.

Most likely, due to high turnover in the security profession.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.

What you have to remember here is that most of these permits are job related NOT self defense. So any one who quits, gets fired or for what ever reason looses there job with the employer that requires it then MSP will revoke there permit. It's not that they did something wrong to get it revoked.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The *revokation* rate in Md is so high because MSP is extremely narrow is transfering occupational Permits from one employer to another.

My red flag is that NJ's stats are way too high. I suspect that with LEOSA in effect that a lot of the permits for retired/ off duty LE won't be renewed as such after they expire , and their totals will precitiously drop.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    It would (be) scary, if LEOs were the main percentage of permit holders.

Most likely, due to high turnover in the security profession.

Scary? Really? How so?

I can see how it would be lopsided and unfair... But SCARY? :sad20:

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    MD: population ~4,200,000; permits ~12,000
    MASS: Pop ~4,900,000; permits ~251,000
    NJ: Pop ~6,500,000; permits ~32,000

Only California makes us look good, with nearly 29,000,000 people and 35,000 permits. And Hawaii, of course, with zero permits. Just another day in Paradise, even more hypocritical than Illinois.

I question those NJ numbers. I contacted them a few years ago and I was told there were 4-5,000 civilian carry permits, and another 5,000 or so retired LEO permits. They probably included their FOID in those numbers, because NJ is worse than MD as far as issuing permits.
    I'm not seeing much that either side can use in this debate. The differences in issuance policies are highlighted, but with no crime stats you can't draw any conclusions.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Go ahead a question the numbers, but one can hope that the GAO is reasonably competent.

That said, there doesn't need to be a link to crime statistics for this info to be useful. The very large disparity between even such leftist states as MA. coupled with the total lack of blood running in the street, pretty much leaves MD without any place to hide. There's no rational argument they can win in the face of information that completely invalidates their arguments.

They're reduced to "Because we say you can't have guns, that's why". Works for Big Mommy, but once we're all grownups, it hits the wall.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    What you have to remember here is that most of these permits are job related NOT self defense. So any one who quits, gets fired or for what ever reason looses there job with the employer that requires it then MSP will revoke there permit. It's not that they did something wrong to get it revoked.

Truth. :thumbsup:

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Go ahead a question the numbers, but one can hope that the GAO is reasonably competent.

That said, there doesn't need to be a link to crime statistics for this info to be useful. The very large disparity between even such leftist states as MA. coupled with the total lack of blood running in the street, pretty much leaves MD without any place to hide. There's no rational argument they can win in the face of information that completely invalidates their arguments.

They're reduced to "Because we say you can't have guns, that's why". Works for Big Mommy, but once we're all grownups, it hits the wall.

I'm more questioning the states' information as opposed to the GOA, who was pretty thorough. It wouldn't suprise me that some may-issue states will artificially inflate their numbers just so it appears they aren't way out there, and are "reasonable" when it comes to issuance.

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    Brave, bad dude. The mayor needs to cite him with a civilian medal. I hope someone at least bought him a lunch.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD

They aren't.

GAO has done several reports on subjects I am familiar with through work, and they were wrong in two of them. What bothered me was that they provided incorrect information on items that could be easily refuted if even a little real research was done.

The first had to do with the storage location of reports, and the second had to do with where agencies specific legal authority on an issue comes from.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom