Anyone own a Uberti Conversion Revolver?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BerBer5985

Apr 3, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I love the looks of the old percussion revolvers and I'd love to own one, but I really don't want to mess with black powder. I saw Uberti had revolver conversions that take 45 colts. Does anyone own one and like it or hate it?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Yep, GnLaFrance is your man. Ask him if he has any 63 shot revolvers left (he sells them from time to time- just send him a PM.).

BerBer5985

Apr 3, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Thanks for the info. I just saw that ontaylor and co that their 1858 new army ismade by Uberti. The cimarron looks nice too. What about the ruger new army black powder with a conversion kit? Or at that point is it better to go with something like a ruger blackhawk?

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    What about the ruger new army black powder with a conversion kit? Or at that point is it better to go with something like a ruger blackhawk?

The cap 'n' ball revolver and conversion cylinder route is fine, but keep in mind that there are two kinds of conversion cylinders, and they each have their ups and downs. The "drop-in" type doesn't need any big changes to the revolver, but you have to remove the cylinder to load and unload it. That's somewhat easier with the Remington design than the Colt.

The "gated" type means cutting a channel in the frame to load and unload cartridges, but when you do that, you manufacture a firearm. If you decide to transfer it, you can't just reinstall the black powder cylinder and sell the revolver with the conversion cylinder as an accessory part, the way you can with a "drop-in" type. Cutting a channel in the frame and installing a C ring are permanent and make selling it much more complicated.

Kirst Cartridge Konverters
    Howell Old West Conversions

If you want the look and feel of an "Old West" revolver, go for a Remington cartridge conversion. If you just want to shoot a single action, I suggest a Blackhawk or Vaquero, you'll never wear it out.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Come on guys, pics please; especially if your talking about the aesthetics or something new.

Oh, now, that is nice!
    bothoa2.jpg

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    ColtPocketRight.jpg

My Uberti 1849 Colt Pocket Model. It has a "drop-in" type conversion cylinder that uses .32 S&W cartridges. The frame is unchanged. To sell it, all I'd have to do is reinstall the cap 'n' ball cylinder and transfer it without having to go through an FFL holder, because I'd be selling a black powder "non-firearm" and an accessory part (the conversion cylinder).

NavyConversionR.jpg

The Pietta 1851 Navy Colt that I converted to use .38 S&W cartridges. According to ATF, the channel and C ring installation mean it's now and forever a firearm. I just sold it last week.

1860Army004.jpg

My Euroarms 1860 Colt New Model Army. I'm not going to convert this big hogleg because it has the smoothest action I've ever felt in a black powder revolver, and modifying it will probably mess that up.

RugerSingleSixRCyl.jpg

My Ruger Single Six with its .22 LR and .22 WMR cylinders. It is hands down my favorite, the smoothest action, the most accurate, and the most fun of all my guns.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom