Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network, Inc.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Be Prepared for the Aftermath of a Self-Defense Shooting.

"The Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, Inc. supports Network members in their interaction with the criminal justice system after an act of self defense. The Network also educates members about the legalities of using deadly force in self defense and what to expect from the criminal justice system after defending themselves. We have spent more than four years developing the Network into the premier organization of its kind in the world. No other organization can offer you the security and peace of mind found through our unique blend of services.

Throughout our website, you'll learn more about how the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network, Inc. can be your first line of protection following use of force in self defense."

Hey all, currently I am the only business in Maryland acting as a representative for the organization. With a new Carry Permit process and the inevitable wave of new permit holders, it would be wise of you to educate yourself regarding the use DEADLY FORCE and be prepared for the legal aftermath.

I welcome any and all inquiries either through PM's or here on the thread.

(sticky enough for a sticky thread?)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'll give a plug , I spent a week with the founder 20+yr ago while we were taking some training together, both in class , and at our accomadations.

Great guy.

Al Norris

Spud Head
    Dec 1, 2010
    Rupert, Idaho
    A couple of years ago, I wrote an article for SWAT magazine on the ACLDN.

Aftermath: Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network

It's pretty typical on firearms boards, in some coffee spots (your local gunshop?), that people will ask, “What can I expect, if I actually have to shoot someone in self defense? from the police? from the courts?” Questions like this are asked each and every day, somewhere on the interwebs.

The discussions that ensue, are filled with some facts, many anecdotes and much misinformation. To a large extent, what happens will vary with where the incident takes place. State, County and even City laws and responses may vary greatly from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, as will any Federal violations that may or may not be prosecuted. Therefore, you should take what you read on the interwebs with a heavy dose of salt.

It would be a great help, if those of us that choose to carry for self defense, could have an attorney, who not only is well versed in self defense law, but one who would have access to expert witnesses, in our back pockets. The truth of the matter is that most of us cannot afford such a retainer. That presupposes that we even knew such an attorney. So who would you call?

Enter Marty Hayes. A former police officer, then Range Master, Chief Instructor and Founder of the Firearms Academy of Seattle.

Marty Hayes is one heck of a good guy who has surrounded his organization with a lot of other good guys.

A good friend of mine, Kathy Jackson (http://www.corneredcat.com/) also supports Marty and his Network.

Visit The Armed Citizen and decide for yourself!

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    How does this compare with the US Concealed Carry Association's Self Defense Shield?

Most people in the know I've heard say US concealed carry shield thingy is a HUGE rip off. I am no lawyer and have not done a side by side comparison, but the word on the street is rip off, as compared to the armed citizens legal defense network.

jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    Thats what I thought. I joined the USCCA last year when they announced they were in the process of creating it. Once it came out, some things just didnt add up so I did not purchase the SD Sheild package and have since let my USCCA membership expire. The ACLDN just seems to be a more reputable organization who will actually help in times of need

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    I am biased since I am one of the Maryland attorneys for the network but this is a top notch organization. Marty and Gila Hayes are class acts. ACLDN has amassed quite a war chest to assist members. IIRC two members to date have needed the assistance of the network and have been aided by them.
    On a purely selfish level Mas Ayoob is on the board. I can’t think how cool it would be to work with him on a case.

Al Norris

Spud Head
    Dec 1, 2010
    Rupert, Idaho
    Full Disclosure: I am not now nor have I ever been a member of ACLDN. My reasons are that I write about them and wish to remain completely objective in my writings.

Marty Hayes is a stand-up person. I know this, but you may not. So do a little investigating. via google, to see for yourself.

Marty is the President of the Organization. Vincent Shuck is the vice president and Gila Hayes handles the day to day operations of the organization and is the editor of the Networks online journal.

These three provide the direction and focus of the Network.

The Armed Citizen's Defense Fund is operated by an advisory board that consists of: Massad Ayoob, John Farnam, Jim Fleming, Tom Givens and Dennis Tueller (yes, that "Tueller"). Marty and Vince are also ex officio members of the board.

Twenty-five percent of all membership fees and 100% of corporate sponsorship donations go directly to the Network's Defense Fund. It is this fund that helps to defray costs in litigating against false or spurious criminal charges associated with having to defend yourself with lethal force.

Members can expect an initial grant of up to $5,000 to defray costs of misdemeanor charges or up to $10,000 for felony charges. Depending upon the nature of the case, additional funds may be granted.

Even before this, the Network may be able to recommend an attorney, to members, who is conversant with criminal Self Defense litigation.

The Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network is not an insurance provider. Besides the other membership benefits, the Defense Fund operates on a case by case basis. The Board of Advisors will investigate each case in order to determine how much grant money is to be applied.

The following gunshops, help to sponsor the ACLDN in MD (email addresses redacted to prevent spam):
    Continantal Arms Indoor Range
    9603 Deereco Rd., Ste. 5,, Timonium, MD 21093
    410-560-3609
    http://www.continentalarms.com/

Cromwell's Firearms
    21591 Harrison St., Great Mills, MD 20634
    240-298-7239

Fox's Den
    6842 Brushbuck Lane, Berlin, MD, 21811-2430
    410-641-3019

NSK Sales Co.
    P O Box 49, Boring, MD 21020
    410-833-2100
    www.nsksales.com
    If you are familiar with any of the above, take the time and go talk with them about the ACLDN. I'm sure they would be happy to tell you why they sponsor the Network.

In addition,
    Appropriate Action LLC
    Larry McClain
    PO box 18, Butler, MD 21023​
    Is a sponsoring Instructor. Members can receive a 10% discount when training with any sponsored trainer.

ETA: As I composed this, I see that CharlieFoxtrot has identified himself as an associated attorney. So don't take just my word. Ask him!

Last edited:

jfox

Mar 27, 2012
    Sounds very interesting. Only thing is, if anyone thinks $10K is going to get you very far in such a litigation (and lawyers are around 300 to $500/hr, experts and others equally expensive, I don't know that this is going to be near adequate.

Al Norris

Spud Head
    Dec 1, 2010
    Rupert, Idaho
    Sounds very interesting. Only thing is, if anyone thinks $10K is going to get you very far in such a litigation (and lawyers are around 300 to $500/hr, experts and others equally expensive, I don't know that this is going to be near adequate.

It is however, enough to retain an attorney, before you have to start hocking the family jewels, or in the alternative, pay a more adequate retainer.

Last edited:

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009

actually it is enough to help post bail so you don't have to spend the night in a room/ cell of bubba's that could be related to the very person you defended yourself from.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Full Disclosure: I am not now nor have I ever been a member of ACLDN. My reasons are that I write about them and wish to remain completely objective in my writings.

Marty Hayes is a stand-up person. I know this, but you may not. So do a little investigating. via google, to see for yourself.

Marty is the President of the Organization. Vincent Shuck is the vice president and Gila Hayes handles the day to day operations of the organization and is the editor of the Networks online journal.

These three provide the direction and focus of the Network.

The Armed Citizen's Defense Fund is operated by an advisory board that consists of: Massad Ayoob, John Farnam, Jim Fleming, Tom Givens and Dennis Tueller (yes, that "Tueller"). Marty and Vince are also ex officio members of the board.

Twenty-five percent of all membership fees and 100% of corporate sponsorship donations go directly to the Network's Defense Fund. It is this fund that helps to defray costs in litigating against false or spurious criminal charges associated with having to defend yourself with lethal force.

Members can expect an initial grant of up to $5,000 to defray costs of misdemeanor charges or up to $10,000 for felony charges. Depending upon the nature of the case, additional funds may be granted.

Even before this, the Network may be able to recommend an attorney, to members, who is conversant with criminal Self Defense litigation.

The Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network is not an insurance provider. Besides the other membership benefits, the Defense Fund operates on a case by case basis. The Board of Advisors will investigate each case in order to determine how much grant money is to be applied.

The following gunshops, help to sponsor the ACLDN in MD (email addresses redacted to prevent spam):
    Continantal Arms Indoor Range
    9603 Deereco Rd., Ste. 5,, Timonium, MD 21093
    410-560-3609
    http://www.continentalarms.com/

Cromwell's Firearms
    21591 Harrison St., Great Mills, MD 20634
    240-298-7239

Fox's Den
    6842 Brushbuck Lane, Berlin, MD, 21811-2430
    410-641-3019

NSK Sales Co.
    P O Box 49, Boring, MD 21020
    410-833-2100
    www.nsksales.com
    If you are familiar with any of the above, take the time and go talk with them about the ACLDN. I'm sure they would be happy to tell you why they sponsor the Network.

In addition,
    Appropriate Action LLC
    Larry McClain
    PO box 18, Butler, MD 21023​
    Is a sponsoring Instructor. Members can receive a 10% discount when training with any sponsored trainer.

ETA: As I composed this, I see that CharlieFoxtrot has identified himself as an associated attorney. So don't take just my word. Ask him!

This seems like a great idea in addition to, but not in lieu of, the other kinds of insurance that are offered. The NRA also offers self defense insurance (and one other company, cannot think of the name). I dont really know how they compare though, i have not done much research yet.

mtnwisdom

Sep 9, 2012
    Sparrows Point
    This seems like a great idea in addition to, but not in lieu of, the other kinds of insurance that are offered. The NRA also offers self defense insurance (and one other company, cannot think of the name). I dont really know how they compare though, i have not done much research yet.

Second Call Defense-provides both bail money and an attorney. Affiliate business of NRA

USCCA-provides reimbursement much like citizens defense.

Every class I teach, I make sure that everyone is aware of each.

More importantly; I always discuss the need to have vetted an attorney BEFORE something happens. If you intend on defending yourself and others, especially involving a firearm, you need to have their number in your wallet/cell and in your significant others wallet/cell. This is MD, if you use your firearm, you will be investigated as a criminal. That is the job of law enforcement & the SA.

I am sure you will be 'invited' to the police station for a chat, maybe some jewelry and portraits as well... Wouldn't plan on spending that night at home in bed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom