• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Not_Disapproved

Known Defiler
    Jul 3, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    I guess I never paid attention to these things, but on my last Walmart visit, I was shocked to see how realistic BB guns have become with respect to real handguns. While I understand that the realism adds to the training value and fun factor of the BB gun, I'm certain that, in a fight scenario, I would not be able to pick up the reduced diameter of the barrel before I unloaded. How come they don't have orange ends like toy guns?

bb_gun_final2.jpg

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    We recover so many of these damn things used in robberies and we take them off kids all the time.............I wonder where they all went???

Ray???

hahahaha

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    How come they don't have orange ends like toy guns?

bb_gun_final2.jpg

Because they're NOT "toys".... If it weren't for the NRA fighting against legislators to lump them in with "traditional" firearms, they would be regulated as well.... BB guns/ air rifles ARE NOT toys, and all kids (and adults) should be taought to respect them just the same as other firearms....

Not_Disapproved

Known Defiler
    Jul 3, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    I realize they aren't toys, but they're not really lethal weapons, either. Well, at least no more than a baseball bat or carving knife is. I can remember, as a kid, having "wars" with BB guns, where we'd wear goggles plus several layers of clothing and we'd shoot each other, with out any permanent damage. (The brain damage evident in my posts is due to your standard, run of the mill retardation.)

How much trouble would it be to make them completely orange or pink to eliminate accidents and robberies? On one hand, this is a form of pseudo-gun control, but I'd sure hate to pop someone who was only armed with one of these things. I'm sure it's 10 times more of a concern for cops.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    It's a simple answer - you unload on them. I wouldn't wait to verify it was a .177 BB and not a .17HMR pointed at me. Not that you should assume every kid with one in his hands is a threat, but if they're using it in a threatening manner toward you, then... go to town. They want you to think it's real, so oblige them.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Not_Disapproved said:
    I realize they aren't toys, but they're not really lethal weapons, either. Well, at least no more than a baseball bat or carving knife is. I can remember, as a kid, having "wars" with BB guns, where we'd wear goggles plus several layers of clothing and we'd shoot each other, with out any permanent damage. (The brain damage evident in my posts is due to your standard, run of the mill retardation.)

How much trouble would it be to make them completely orange or pink to eliminate accidents and robberies? On one hand, this is a form of pseudo-gun control, but I'd sure hate to pop someone who was only armed with one of these things. I'm sure it's 10 times more of a concern for cops.

I guess when you did it as a kid you didn't get the one with the pellet rifle who decided to see if that would break the skin. A pointed pellet lodges nicely just below the skin if you didn't know. OUCH.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Orange tips are stupid. I didn't have them growing up and I didn't get shot by the popo.

Here is a crazy idea; Don't point any guns, toy/bb/real, at the police.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I had very realistic looking toy guns and bb guns when I was a kid a couple decades ago.
    If they were blue or orange I simply used a Sharpie and made them black. Never threatened anyone with them or pointed them at the police.
    We have Darwin Awards for a reason, and one of those should be when some idiot thinks they won't get shot when they point a fake gun or a bb gun that looks real at someone who has a real gun. When stupid people do stupid things and they get themselves removed from the gene pool, that's not entirely a bad thing IMO.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I wouldn't wait to verify it was a .177 BB and not a .17HMR pointed at me. Not that you should assume every kid with one in his hands is a threat, but if they're using it in a threatening manner toward you, then... go to town. They want you to think it's real, so oblige them.

There's really no reason not to oblige them, especially if it's one of the higher-powered air rifles that can easily penetrate the chest. Jokes aside, air-powered handguns can take out an eye with no problem and a lucky shot could mean a pellet to the brain.

Orange tips are stupid. I didn't have them growing up and I didn't get shot by the popo.

Problem is that I keep seeing them for sale (handguns and rifles) with no orange tip. Many of them are so realistic that it's impossible to distinguish from its big brother without up-close handling and inspection.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    yeah! there should be a law! and while we're at it, lets ban any colored real gun other than black!.....not

As with anything that's an inanimate object, their nature comes from the nature of their operator. Whether they are used as a highly effective and safer tool for firearms manipulation practice or a cheap stand-in for an actual firearm in a robbery depends on the person holding it...who is responsible for its use.

Not_Disapproved

Known Defiler
    Jul 3, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    I guess when you did it as a kid you didn't get the one with the pellet rifle who decided to see if that would break the skin. A pointed pellet lodges nicely just below the skin if you didn't know. OUCH.
    I got shot in the foot with a pellet once, and it did, indeed, penetrate the shoe and skin. That's why we stuck to BBs, although in retrospect that was fairly dumb, too.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Not_Disapproved said:
    I got shot in the foot with a pellet once, and it did, indeed, penetrate the shoe and skin. That's why we stuck to BBs, although in retrospect that was fairly dumb, too.

We used to fill up Super Soakers with pee too, so I understand the dumb kid stuff pretty well.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Yeah, because a plastic orange tip solves that problem..... as long as we also ban black paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom