• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rainmaker

Jan 9, 2012
    Hagerstown, MD
    You wanna know what's really sad? I keep reading all these posts about people who applied in early March try early February, like February 6th for me. Still no interview, but I'm patient. Hopefully I wont receive an interview if the 4th circuit says no stay.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Can the MSP legally delay the process pending an appeal? Sounds like they are ignoring the judges decision and could be grounds for those being put off to sue.

Any opinions on this? If this was regarding issuing driver's licenses or work permits, they would be causing financial loss to many.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    You wanna know what's really sad? I keep reading all these posts about people who applied in early March try early February, like February 6th for me. Still no interview, but I'm patient. Hopefully I wont receive an interview if the 4th circuit says no stay.

So, some people got a call within 6 calendar days, this guy has been waiting 6 weeks. Somethings wrong....

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Since there was no previous history on permit application procedures since Woolard, there is no "standard". MSP is trying to figure this out too I'd guess.

patience is needed for sure.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    OK so I had my in person interview today at Westminster barracks. Everything went about like the phone interviews. He went over my app to verify questions ask there. New questions were alcohol consumption and if so how much, ANY drug use EVER, any training with a hand gun (I just completed NRA basic pistol class so I took a copy of that with me) ask me what gun I was going to carry or was I going to purchase one (told him I would be buying one just for this use). He checked my criminal background to see if it matched my app.

I had one of my references call back while I was there. He ask them time know me, how they knew me, was I a drug or alcohol abuser, was i a good person, was i violent? That was about it. Thanked them for calling back. Then he told me that it was not surprising for a "friend" to rat someone out. It had happened a lot of times.

After he was done he gave me a chance to ask questions but said there were something he could not answer about the investigation process. I will start this to say that he is retired MSP hired back full time to be an investigator. I asked under normal situation were would this proses go now. he said that this is normal as he was not told to do anything different. He also explained that he did not make the decision if I were to get a permit or not. All he does is the investigation, writes a report of his findings then sends it to the licensing devision. He stated that he never hears whether a person gets there permit or not. he said that his part could take "some time to do". He talked about the budget and how under maned that MSP is (thats a whole new story). Then I asked why he was doing a face to face interview when everyone else was getting a phone interview. his reply was that he had no idea why they would be doing that. In short terms if he is putting his name on the report he wants to make sure who he is talking to (I can understand that). As far as the drive MSP says its "reasonable" to drive to the next county. He said he has interviewed people from Easton. For that he would meet with them near the bay bridge. So its hard to tell were you may have to go for an interview. I am not sure if its a good thing or bad that I got a full time investigator. i guess only time and court rulings will tell.

All in all a pleasant interview I thanked him for his time and off to work I went.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Alrighty then. It actually wasn't an assumption, It was me repeating what I was told first hand by a local LEO.

None of us really know if they have whatever OT they may need for whatever reason they may need it because we are not MSP. However, does anyone here really think that if they do have OT to burn they are going to burn it on dealing with our apps? I think not. Or at least I hope not.

If the MSP think it’s a good idea to burn OT on our apps it’s not because they want to hurry up and approve us. It’s the other thing.

Anyway, like that one guy said, no news is good news. If you sent your app in early in March right after hearing about the court case the MSP may just may turn it down if they get to it right away by doing what they always have done.

I think if you haven't heard anything that is good news. Maybe the guys that did hear something already have their denial letters in the mail. Who knows?

Stop staring at the phone. Whatever is going to happen is going to happen.

Some guys here said the apps are getting framed out to other MSP location ans some are staying at HQ. It's like anything else. They may have given 50 apps to a trooper that worked on them for two days and then went somewhere for training or sick leave. Or he may have been taken off the pile of apps because they needed him some where else. All the guys that did hear something already their apps may have been in the hands of Troopers that had the chance to work on them without interruption.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    ......However, does anyone here really think that if they do have OT to burn they are going to burn it on dealing with our apps? I think not. Or at least I hope not.

I think they'll "burn" it however they are instructed to. Hiring back (hourly contract) a retired guy isn't free or even cheap.

I'm not losing sleep over HOW they process these apps, but they owe it to the applicants to do it in a reasonable time frame. Everyone has heard the little comments about how they've instructed their family to sue O'malley and the MSP in the even they are robbed/killed and weren't able to properly defend themselves.

I don't take it as a joke. What does happen if a member here (or any MD resident) is killed or raped, or beaten into a coma, during this vitural cluster F of a process?

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    OK so I had my in person interview today at Westminster barracks. Everything went about like the phone interviews. He went over my app to verify questions ask there. New questions were alcohol consumption and if so how much, ANY drug use EVER, any training with a hand gun (I just completed NRA basic pistol class so I took a copy of that with me) ask me what gun I was going to carry or was I going to purchase one (told him I would be buying one just for this use). He checked my criminal background to see if it matched my app.

I had one of my references call back while I was there. He ask them time know me, how they knew me, was I a drug or alcohol abuser, was i a good person, was i violent? That was about it. Thanked them for calling back. Then he told me that it was not surprising for a "friend" to rat someone out. It had happened a lot of times.

After he was done he gave me a chance to ask questions but said there were something he could not answer about the investigation process. I will start this to say that he is retired MSP hired back full time to be an investigator. I asked under normal situation were would this proses go now. he said that this is normal as he was not told to do anything different. He also explained that he did not make the decision if I were to get a permit or not. All he does is the investigation, writes a report of his findings then sends it to the licensing devision. He stated that he never hears whether a person gets there permit or not. he said that his part could take "some time to do". He talked about the budget and how under maned that MSP is (thats a whole new story). Then I asked why he was doing a face to face interview when everyone else was getting a phone interview. his reply was that he had no idea why they would be doing that. In short terms if he is putting his name on the report he wants to make sure who he is talking to (I can understand that). As far as the drive MSP says its "reasonable" to drive to the next county. He said he has interviewed people from Easton. For that he would meet with them near the bay bridge. So its hard to tell were you may have to go for an interview. I am not sure if its a good thing or bad that I got a full time investigator. i guess only time and court rulings will tell.

All in all a pleasant interview I thanked him for his time and off to work I went.

Good for you. It sounds as if it could not have gone any better. And I bet that many if not all of the people that got the phone interview will also have to go in for a face to face.

I was talking to a LEO last week, plus I have heard this before from some fed investigators before. The ask you to fill an app out. They call to ask you the same questions. Then they bring you in and ask you the same questions.

I'm told you would be very surprised on how often the answers to the simple question will change for some people. One trip up leads to another trip up, and on and on. They are looking for trip ups.

If you don't trip up you are either a honest person of a very clever lair. Investigators keep asking what seem to be very simple questions over and over to see if the answer ever changes. Like something as simple as where did you live. If you tell the truth that answer will never change.

Some guys may fill an app out and not be 100% truthful and they think they are smart enough to remember everything they put down on the app.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I think they'll "burn" it however they are instructed to. Hiring back (hourly contract) a retired guy isn't free or even cheap.

I'm not losing sleep over HOW they process these apps, but they owe it to the applicants to do it in a reasonable time frame. Everyone has heard the little comments about how they've instructed their family to sue O'malley and the MSP in the even they are robbed/killed and weren't able to properly defend themselves.

I don't take it as a joke. What does happen if a member here (or any MD resident) is killed or raped, or beaten into a coma, during this vitural cluster F of a process?

Agreed. The problem is a releasable time frame to them is that 90 days. With these flood gates open I look for that to be extended to 120 easy.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

Again I'm not inside of the walls of the MSP but I think they just do not place a high priority on hand gun permits for even the group of people that did not have any problems getting approved for a CCW.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    he said that his part could take "some time to do".

This is what I don't understand. Everything is done already. Prints, photos, background check, even they're checking references and interviews. What is left that could take "some time to do"?

MH

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    This is what I don't understand. Everything is done already. Prints, photos, background check, even they're checking references and interviews. What is left that could take "some time to do"?

MH

I thought this also. Then I got to thinking what about medical? Yea I said that I have not been admitted to a psych ward but how would they know unless they pull medical records? That would not be on a criminal record.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I thought this also. Then I got to thinking what about medical? Yea I said that I have not been admitted to a psych ward but how would they know unless they pull medical records? That would not be on a criminal record.
    Don't they already do this when you buy a regulated gun. It doesn't take that long to do it for purchase.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Yea I guess they would have to. I am really not sure how it is done. I guess I was trying to make excuses for them. :sad20:
    I don't want to bash on them, but I figure mine is riding around in the trunk of a cruiser when the trooper came back from Pikesville and he forgot all about it.:D
    I guess I'll just sit back and wait with the rest of the subjects.:innocent0

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

MH

In think how the MSP work is they have Troopers conduct the interviews. They then write their report on every they found out or were told. Then all of the apps go into a big pile, and then eventually, maybe every other month or so a different panel of Troopers go over all of the apps and decide who gets approved and who doesn't.

I don't think it's a thing where thy approve 20 everyday. Like some of the guys are reporting they are being told by the Troopers they were talking to that they are not the ones that decides.

and I bet the panel of troopers that do, only do so 5 or 6 times each year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom