Not open for further replies.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    Supreme Court: 22 cases remain undecided

The Associated Press

Mon, Jun 9, 2008 (12:17 p.m.)

Highlights of some high-profile Supreme Court cases, among the 22 that remain to be decided before the court begins its summer recess scheduled in late June:

_Rights of detainees at the Guantanamo Bay naval prison, some of whom have been held more than six years without charges. The detainees want to be able to seek their release in front of a U.S. civilian judge. The government says the detainees have no rights under the Constitution and that the process for classifying them as enemy combatants contains sufficient opportunity to make their case in court.

_Gun rights, and the fate of a handgun ban in Washington, D.C. The court is undertaking the first comprehensive review of Second Amendment rights in U.S. history, and will decide whether individuals have a right to own guns, or whether that right is linked to service in a militia.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Just received an update from "Ceasefire Maryland" ;)

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=5055064&page=1

We've lost the battle on what the Second Amendment means," campaign president Paul Helmke told ABC News. "Seventy-five percent of the public thinks it's an individual right. Why are we arguing a theory anymore? We are concerned about what we can do practically."

Not all roses though:

Brady Campaign Attorney Dennis Henigan said there are multiple gun control measures that would not run afoul of a Supreme Court decision striking down the D.C. gun ban.

"Universal background checks don't affect the right of self-defense in the home. Banning a super dangerous class of weapons, like assault weapons, also would not adversely affect the right of self-defense in the home," said Henigan. "Curbing large volume sales doesn't affect self-defense in the home."

nighthawk2099

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2006
    Backwoods, SouthWest Arkansas
    It sounds like they will just pass MD style gun laws (which is extremely better than they have now). So it's a step in the right direction.

The fact that the Brady Bunch is even back peddling with the fact that the 2A is an individual right like we have been telling them, shows they are trying to do damage control. I think people might be realizing that not everything the Brady Bunch says is gospel.

I think once the SCOTUS hands down the final decision, the next step will be to see what we can do about the MD laws (Get rid of the Handgun Board, Castle Doc., Shell Casing and CCW).

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Brady Campaign Attorney Dennis Henigan said there are multiple gun control measures that would not run afoul of a Supreme Court decision striking down the D.C. gun ban.

"Universal background checks don't affect the right of self-defense in the home. Banning a super dangerous class of weapons, like assault weapons, also would not adversely affect the right of self-defense in the home," said Henigan. "Curbing large volume sales doesn't affect self-defense in the home."

They still don't get it do they? They are shitting themselves over this.

They still want to ban guns after SCOTUS (hopefully) declares that it is an individual right. How is banning a supposed class of guns (so called ' assault weapons') not an infringment on the 2nd A rights?

rob b

c@r collecting
    he is the biggest pile of s**t I have ever seen
    is he slow or something
    how could any person with half of a brain think that a legally armed citizen is bad for any state
    criminals and thugs carry guns all the time, why cant I ?
    and even if the bad guys get caught with an illegal weapon on them they get off

Last edited:

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    They still don't get it do they? They are shitting themselves over this.

They still want to ban guns after SCOTUS (hopefully) declares that it is an individual right. How is banning a supposed class of guns (so called ' assault weapons') not an infringment on the 2nd A rights?

Jeep, can't ya see. They're interpreting that part of the Second Amendment we all missed. "The right of the people to keep and bear arms inside their own houses, as long as the arms aren't too effective, and as long as they are not on any of 16 different 'bad people lists' the government keeps, and as long as they don't have too many arms, shall not be infringed."

It's just common sense, right?

Attachments

• brady.jpg
      brady.jpg
      29.7 KB · Views: 562

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    What was said, I hope that is true ! I want to have this to be resolved for once !

Once this is declared, I would like to get ourselves to prepare for the next season to address the "CCW" that we have in Maryland.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    Wonder if Frosh will go back on TV and admit he was wrong about the 2nd amendment as well.

and, what makes a "military style gun" any different from a non "military style gun"

SO F***IN WHAT. just because its black and looks scary and is used by the military doesn't make it any different from a non military gun... ITS RELIABLE

stupid brady bunch.

TheYoshi

2A Fanatic
    Feb 13, 2008
    People's Republic of MD
    What was said, I hope that is true ! I want to have this to be resolved for once !

Once this is declared, I would like to get ourselves to prepare for the next season to address the "CCW" that we have in Maryland.

I couldn't agree more, as soon as we have some fuel from the SCOTUS decision (and see the lay of the land based on the decision) we need to get very very organized. Enough media attention and hopefully we can at least prevent bills from being "Drawered" this go-round.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

Gee, he may as well as have said:
    "Universal background checks don't affect the right of self-defense in the home. Banning a superduper, jeepers-creepers dangerous class of weapons, like assault weapons, oh my, also would not adversely affect the right of self-defense in the home," said Henigan. "Curbing large volume sales doesn't affect self-defense in the home."

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    and, what makes a "military style gun" any different from a non "military style gun"

SO F***IN WHAT. just because its black and looks scary and is used by the military doesn't make it any different from a non military gun... ITS RELIABLE

stupid brady bunch.

Again, we're using semi-auto CLONES of what the military uses. Go try to buy a true P90, MP7, HK416, or any other automatic rifle/submachine gun produced after 1986. Without a Class III license, you can't get it even if you could afford it. It's a ridiculous argument.

I was speaking to my new friend (female, Obama supporter) about guns and she quickly agreed with me that it's ridiculous to label guns as "assault weapons" when the so-called "hunting and sporting" guns you can buy without a 7-day wait (in MD) can be much more powerful and accurate.

Which would you rather have, a nice Rem 700 or an AK clone if you were trying to hit something far away and kill it?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Which would you rather have, a nice Rem 700 or an AK clone if you were trying to hit something far away and kill it?
    That depends. If I were to hunt during the rainy season in the mud or something nasty, I might care more about damaging the nice $1000 Remington and not give as much of a shit about the $300 Ak clone that I know will fire after I drop it in the mud a few times and that I know can take it. :D

I don't hunt and I am partly kidding above, but even though it might be rare, I can honestly see why some people would choose the AK47 clone over the Remington for even situations where it can be longer distances.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    That depends. If I were to hunt during the rainy season in the mud or something nasty, I might care more about damaging the nice $1000 Remington and not give as much of a shit about the $300 Ak clone that I know will fire after I drop it in the mud a few times and that I know can take it. :D

I don't hunt and I am partly kidding above, but even though it might be rare, I can honestly see why some people would choose the AK47 clone over the Remington for even situations where it can be longer distances.

Still. I'm of the school of "It's a gun." A .22 can kill you just as dead as a .50 BMG. It's gotta be all or none.

R2.0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2008
    I think we will be seeing a change in the Brady mantra; "legitimate sporting purposes" will be replaced by "self-defense in the home". I do NOT think this is progress. For one thing, note the specific reference to "in the home", not just "self defense". "On the street"? Sorry, too dangerous. "In your business"? Sorry, not necessary.

Also, as much as we like to point out that the Second Amendment isn't about hunting (or fishing, per Obama), it is still the number one use of firearms in the US. So if the paradigm shifts to "self-defense in the home", it blows away a LOT of sporting firearms. Ruger #1? Not suited for home defense. Chipmunk .22? Not suited for home defense. Anything with a scope? Likewise. It also lets them align with PETA and the Humane society, giving them common cause against hunters and sports shooters.

My mantra is this: the Constitution, in it's most distilled form, is about power - specifically, the ability for individuals to keep and hold power, and to exercise that power in whatever form they so choose as long as it doesn't interfere with others. Speech is power to persuade. Religion is the power to believe and act in accordance with those beliefs. One's home is a base of power. One's arms are a means of keeping others from depriving you of those powers you already have, as well as projecting your power within the limits of the common and criminal law.

Power is what it is all about, and there are many who are uncomfortable with the idea that another individual might have power equal to or greater than their own. So they use the mechanisms of the State to try to deprive others of power, not because of any high purpose, but from fear and greed.

It's all about power, and we should not let ourselves forget that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom